Sampling your first brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waldo

Reaction score
Ok, I bottled my first home brew today, its a Brewers Best Red Ale Kit, 1 week in the primary, one day short of 2 weeks in the secondary. The OG and FG were spot on and everything went pretty good. So after bottling I had a half bottle left so I capped it and put it in the fridge, my plan is to let it cool a bit and then drink it. I feel stupid, here I set being nervous about drinking it, I'm afraid its going to be horrible, any of you old timers out there suffer from this?

I can't wait that long...I draw off 4-6 oz before I prime to sample! Yours might taste a little strange if you primed the whole batch at once. If you primed bottle by bottle, then just crack it open and screw waiting for it to cool down!

Having said that, there is always a hint of apprehension with that first swig...

I am always a bit.... anxious I guess is a good word... about the flavor of each and every batch. Not WORRIED, but wondering if I did it all right and will have the flavor that I was after.

I'm still waiting for the day when I taste one and say to myself, "Self... this beer is The One. Brew it often. Do it the exact same way every time. Guard the recipe. Live life with this beer in your hand."

I've never had this experience yet... still waiting.

-walker

Well I got over it and poped the top, should have waited another hour it wasn't real cold yet. Yes I primed the whole batch, gotta tell ya I'm impressed, its a little rough around the edges but over all I like it better than Killians. After a couple of weeks in the bottle it should be a very smooth beer, I can't wait. My big mistake was getting the big 1 liter flip tops bottles, I ended up with 16 full bottles so I'll have to be carefull about sampling.

yup.. I always cap at least two six packs of 12oz-ers. one for sampling, one for giving away or taking to a party.

-walker

You think it's good now, wait a wee or two til it's carbed. You think THAT's good, give it month or so to mature!

I'm in the same boat with you, Waldo - and while I hardly qualify as an old timer, brewing-wise, I've made maybe eight batches now - and every one of them has been unbelievably great, better than anything I ever bought (is this just "parental pride?" Maybe but I don't think so - everyone else likes 'em too).

Anyway, have a look here and see if it sounds about right! :D

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=2381

I just kegged what must be at least batch 40, but I still worry. I've had one ropey batch, one too sour to drink and one that just ... take a can of diet cola, open it and leave it in the sun for three days. That batch was worse.

But three dumps in five years isn't too bad.

Then there was Olde Bogwater. 1/2 lb of peat smoked barley is TOO much. But, three years later, quite drinkable.

Back