Finished my HLT stir motor mount

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcdillin

Reaction score
Well I had some time last night and I was able to finish up my stir motor mount for my HLT. I figured while I was at it I myaswell make it into a lid for the HLT at the same time.

I coated the wood with butcher block oil, i'm not sure how it's going to work or if it's going to put oil in my HLT water. It's food safe so at least if it does it's not the end of the world. After coating the wood has soaked up all the oil and is dry to the touch so I think it will be ok. I may spray it with some water and see how much of a film I get from it. Worst comes to worse i'll just cut another lid out and paint it or some other coating.

Parts Used:

3/4 Plywood from Home Depot
100rpm gearmotor mcmaster part number 6142k49
Mixing shaft mcmaster part number 34935k66
Stainless coupler mcmaster part number 6099k22

Here is one of the caps hot off the CNC machine

dsc_0037.jpg

Here is the stuff I used to coat the wood

dsc_0038.jpg

Here is the mcmaster gearmotor finally mounted

dsc_0039.jpg

Another shot

dsc_0040.jpg

Stainless screws and washers, I also cut the bottom of the hole out a bit so I could slide the coupler up into the wood a bit. That way the set screw could get a better bite into the shaft.

dsc_0041.jpg

Another shot

dsc_0043.jpg

Test fit onto the HLT. This stir paddle is really nice and goes almost to the bottom of my hex coil

dsc_0044.jpg

Another shot

dsc_0045.jpg

And another

dsc_0046.jpg

And finally with the other half of the lid on, I still need to put a handle on it but I think it came out great.

dsc_0048.jpg

Thanks!

I've been planning a stirrer for my MLT as well, i'm just not sure what to use for a motor and paddle and if stirring really helps that much.

yeah that's awesome, I need to do one, I put my HEX and heating element up a bit too high and put my temp sensor too low, so I have a bit of a problem w/ that when I don't stir it manually.

Back