Kombucha Hard Tea

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingogames

Reaction score
I haven't seen this anywhere else online, but I tried this today since it is snowing outside. I have been making Kombucha for a while now, and I wanted to make it into a hard tea. Here's what I did for a 1 gal batch:

1 gal for my homemade Kombucha (aged about 7-10 days)- I think, can't remember exactly when I started this batch, I use a continuous brew system, so it's hard to tell.

3.5 oz. grated ginger- grated with a microplane

I boiled the Kombucha and ginger (well, simmered) for 15 min to kill any wild yeast, bacteria or other nasties in it. I would like some feedback as to whether this was necessary. I just didn't want to F- with the alcohol fermentation.

After boiling, I added 2 cups dark brown sugar & let cool in the primary until suitable for pitching yeast. While cooling, I put yeast (Nottingham) in 1/2 cu. warm water with 1/2 tsp. of yeast nutrient in a seperate container to "bloom."

Once cool, I added in the yeast mixture to the kombucha, ginger, sugar "wort."

I loaned my hydrometer to my dad, so I didn't get the OG, but based on other recipes for different stuff, this should come out somwhere in the 7% ABV range. (Comments/Feedback)

Stirred to combine/further hydrate/airate. Put lid on & airlock.

Here's the plan...

Will let it ferment 14 days, then I'll check it. If no activity, will rack to a carboy. I'm going to try it, and if not sweet enough, will want to add some sweetner to the secondary (reccommendations, tips please, this is my first time doing anything like this)

I'm thinking 30 days in the secondary, with airlock.

Then bottle with priming sugar. If cloudy, I will clear with gelatin. How long should I let it sit in the bottle? I'm thinking 2 weeks min.

Like I said, this is my first time doing anything like this, so please comment on anything and everything. This forum has been an invaluable help to me. Note: I have (am) celiac, so I am looking for a unique beer replacement, and I love Kombucha, so I thought this would be a cool experiment. What do you think?

Ya, like ChasidicCalvinist says this may belong in the Kombucha forum. But since I have you here, I'll throw this out there.

There's a company called Unity Vibrations that makes a kombucha 'beer,' as well as ordinary kombucha. It comes in Raspberry and Ginger flavors, and is fermented with Belgian yeast. You should give it a try if you can get ahold of it! (I'm not sure how hugely distributed it is at this point)

Ugh...I tried that Unity Vibe stuff and it was AWFUL. Calling it "Kombucha Beer" is an insult to both kombucha and beer. It tastes like what I imagine pruno/prison hooch would taste like....

I've thought about using kombucha to add lactic sourness to a beer, and if I ever make my own kombucha beer, that's the route I'll go--probably add it to the mash or something, or maybe do it in secondary to really go crazy with it...though I bet a SCOBY would be pretty tough to get out of a carboy and/or rather undesirable if one forms in the bottle. Might be an interesting science experiment, though....

igliashon- i agree. really just doing it as an experiment. i really want to try a gluten free beer, but I'm apprehensive of the learning curve, malting buckwheat, etc. A while back I brewed an extract beer & didn't follow the directions, used scented disinfectant to sanitize & ended up ruining my equipment, so I'm a little gun shy. Do you know of a good "entry level" recipe that I could try? a local brewpub has a gluten free beer made with sorghum and buckwheat (i think) that's pretty good. Looking at your signature line, you've got a lot of experience with this! Thanks.

Gluten-free brewing, like normal brewing, can be as simple or as complex as you want. I'd recommend checking out the recipes page at the facebook Gluten-Free Homebrewing page, it has sections based on different difficulty levels, some of which are tried and true. Most of my own beers have been good but not great, and my recipes tend to be fairly complex.

Well, this did not work out. Good alcohol content, but tasted horrible!!! Back to the drawing board.

you could of just sulfited it with cambden to kill the bacteria and hinder the wild yeast to reproduce.. ive done sum blends in the boil before and it takes the tart and sourness and changes it.. ikd how but it always tastes funny to me when boiled! :mug:

Back