Jamil's Kolsch Recipe Please Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan11

Reaction score
I've been looking for Jamil's Kolsch recipe online and every recipe I find is different. Does anyone have his Kolsch recipe?

This is the best I've found:

Batch Size (Gal): 6.00 Wort Size (Gal): 6.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 10.50
Anticipated OG: 1.046
Anticipated SRM: 3.8
Anticipated IBU: 22.2
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70 %
Wort Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Grains:
9.00 lbs. Pilsener Germany
1.00 lbs. Munich Malt Germany
0.50 lbs. Wheat Malt Germany

Hops:
0.90 oz. Tettnanger Pellet 60 min.
0.40 oz. Tettnanger Pellet 5 min.

BrewTek CL-450 Kolsch Yeast

Mash Schedule:

Type: Single Step

Grain Lbs: 10.50
Water Qts: 15.60 - Before Additional Infusions
Water Gal: 3.90 - Before Additional Infusions

Qts Water Per Lbs Grain: 1.49 - Before Additional Infusions

Saccharification Rest Temp : 150 Time: 70
Mash-out Rest Temp : 168 Time: 10
Sparge Temp : 170 Time: 60

Also when I plugged this in Beersmith it tells me my IBUs will be 14. Does anyone have the real recipe by Jamil or is this it?

Spalter is a better hop to use with Kolsh it is more traditional. For a 5 gallon batch I use 1.5oz at 60 minutes. Also with that much pilsner malt you really want to do a 90 minute boil to drive off DMS.

Spalter is a better hop to use with Kolsh it is more traditional. For a 5 gallon batch I use 1.5oz at 60 minutes. Also with that much pilsner malt you really want to do a 90 minute boil to drive off DMS.

I have found that many people don't like spalt. I really like it but it has a different hard to describe quality.

It might be that they are getting spalt select. It is close but doesn't have the flowery charactor of true spalt. For my money in a Kolsh spalt is the go to hop but tettinager would be my second choice.

Yeah I have a 90 min boil listed in my original post. Also, this is for a 6 gal batch so how much spalter at 60 min should I use?

I would shoot for about 22 ibu worth depending on what the AA of the hops that you have on hand. A rough guess would be about 1.5 oz. If you want send me a PM with your email and I will send you my .BSM file

Back