Orange Honey Hefeweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DubbelDach

Reaction score
This post spans "Recipes" and "Labels" so... I put it in this forum to be safe. Please move if necessary.

This is my second all-grain batch... I love the light colors you can achieve, and how the beer tastes cleaner and better than an extract brew. I am a graphic artist, so doing labels is half the fun for me - makes bottling almost worth it, lol.

Orange Honey Hefe

ohh.jpg

ohh_1.jpg

ohh_3.jpg

5 lbs German Pils
4 lbs German wheat
152* for 60 mins

1 lb Orange Blossom Honey at flameout

.5 oz Mt. Hood (60 mins)

peel extract of two large sweet organic oranges (soaked for 2 weeks in Grey Goose)

Used WLP300 because it's the only thing they had. Would have used WLP380, but I'm glad I went with 300 because I think it gave more of a spicy character rather than banana/bubblegum

OG: 1.052, FG: 1.007, ABV: 5.62%

Fermented out fully, dry finish. Spicy orange nose, subtle orange on the aftertaste. I'm into my second one right now, and I love it. Very refreshing, thirst quenching. I am so f-ing jacked that me and my friend's second all-grain effort is this good. This is such a light straw color - a color that could never be achieved with extracts. I'm touching myself right now.

Off to finish O.H.H..... (heh, got my OHH face on, lol) :D

Awesome label! I wouldn't be surprised if people started eyeing that for their Ancient Orange Mead bottles... ;)

Glad the beer turned out well too! :mug:

Thank you, everyone!

Awesome label! I wouldn't be surprised if people started eyeing that for their Ancient Orange Mead bottles... ;)

I could probably email the label sans the writing and my logo... Just the background, oranges and wand. I'd need that Ancient Orange Mead recipe and a promise not to enter the adjusted label in BYO's contest next year!

Wow - nice label, recipe, and Troegs glass...:mug:

The Troeg's glasses flow here like the salmon of Capistrano....

Awesome label, and the beer looks great to, but um wtf? Cheap vodka not good enough for those oranges? lol.

Hosting Halloween parties for four straight years brings you a lot of liquor gifts... I'm a beer guy though, and hardly touch liquor. It was the first bottle I grabbed! :D

good call on the 300, it's nice and spicy especially if you ferment at low temps.

i found the 380 gave one of my previous dunkelweizens a hint of apricot. it was quite nice for the darker brew, but i use 300 for almost all my hefeweizens.

I could probably email the label sans the writing and my logo... Just the background, oranges and wand. I'd need that Ancient Orange Mead recipe and a promise not to enter the adjusted label in BYO's contest next year!

PROMISE! :mug:

Seriously, if you're willing to share your label, that would be awesome (and save me from having to come up with a label for the mead (I actually plan to make Malkore's version of the orange mead) that I would never be satisfied with now that I've seen yours! PM sent!

Glad the beer turned out well too! :mug:

I have some AO Mead, that is going on 1.5 years that is outstanding:rockin:

The label is good but that beer looks awesome. Wish i had about a gallon of that stuff right now.

So did you just peel the oranges and soak the rinds or the oranges in the vodka (how much vodka?)

Used a potato peeler and took off just the orange outer peel (not the bitter white pith). Put it in a small tupperware container and used just enough vodka to cover it (probably 1 cup?). Left it for 2 weeks, shaking it occasionally. Picked out the peel and dumped in the orange vodka at bottling.

I was tempted to use Triple Sec instead of corn sugar to prime (per Randy Mosher). I'm glad I didn't, as the orange flavor is just enough. Very subtle.

PS - I am in love with this beer. Been drinking it like mad.

The label before this one:

watermelon_label.jpg

Bottled half of this batch in aluminum bottles for the pool!

Thats awesome to, you are a good designer. I never considered using aluminum bottles though, its an interesting idea with the pool / park issue. Hmm...

Used a potato peeler and took off just the orange outer peel (not the bitter white pith).

FYI, it is called "zest". Just an FYI.

You can get a tool which is much better suited for zesting here. I use it for dressings and hummus, and recently for the Wit.

Eric

Thats awesome to, you are a good designer. I never considered using aluminum bottles though, its an interesting idea with the pool / park issue. Hmm...

Thanks! I got a case of the bottles free... They're stubbier than longnecks, so I have to borrow a bench capper when I use them (the fatter neck interferes with the butterfly cappers)

FYI, it is called "zest". Just an FYI.

Yeahhh..... I know. :cross:

Gonna brew this hopefully this weekend :)

I'm going on vacation for 2 1/2 weeks on the 17th, would there be any problem with leaving the orange zest in vodka for longer than two weeks?

Let's see if I understand this:
When bottling, put the zest in the bottom of a bucket and rack on top of it. I'll then use my autosiphon to fill the bottles from that bucket.
Would adding the zest into the secondary be better? Give it more time to absorb the orange flavors?

Back