Star San bad for Corny??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thdewitt

Reaction score
Ok, so about 2 weeks ago I filled a Corney with Star San that was left over from sanitizing a clean fermenter. For the past two weeks I have been using C02 to push a little Star San out when needed. This weekend I plan on using the Corny for my Belgian Triple. Here is the question. Can Star San damage a Corny with extended contact times? Can I put my Belgian directly in after emptying. I have heard that Acid cleaners can remove the protective barrier of Stainless Steel after using and that they must be left to oxidize after exposure. Anyone know?? I don't want a metallic taste in my beer.

Thanks,
Tom
:mug:

IIRC, the H3PO4 that is the meat of StarSan promotes passivation of Stainless Steel. Not sure if it has to have air contact or not.

At any rate, I know lots of brewers who store their SS solutions in cornies and have never complained about issues.

No issues here- Only thing to really worry about is your starsan solution (PH balance or simple 'does it bubble/foam' test to see if it will still sanitize).

Thanks for the advice. I actually check my star san with a PH meter. I was told if it is under 3 that it is OK. Is that correct as far as you know?

Thanks again, Tom

I heard on The Brewing Network's Brew Strong show that you shouldn't store Star San in Stainless Steel over a long period of time. I forget why though...sorry.

I heard on The Brewing Network's Brew Strong show that you shouldn't store Star San in Stainless Steel over a long period of time. I forget why though...sorry.

It's been a while since I listened to that show, but I remember it the other way around. I thought Charlie Talley actually said that Star San would be better than water for long-term stainless steel storage. Again though, I could have that all screwed up.

Either way, the original poster could probably get some good information out of the show. I think (key word) it was covered in the "Cleaning" show.
The Brewing Network.com - :

The "Sanitation" show may also have some good information:
The Brewing Network.com - :

Back