So do you report this? and if so to whom?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donasay

Reaction score
So lets say (hypothetically) there is a world class D bag posting on an internet forum that requires that you be 18+ to post. The forum is about the discussion of a substance that 18 year olds are not allowed to have (lets hypotheticaly call it a tobacco site) This guy happens to have linked his handle profile on this internet forum to his myspace page where it very clearly states he is 16.

So every time I read something this guy writes I think, o **** what a d-bag, and wow, he can't spell, what a moron etc. I then begin to think how much better my day would be not having to read things he has written, and consider reporting this flagrant violation of boards TOS, to someone so I never have to hear from him again, or well at least a couple of years till he is old enough.

Would doing that make me a big d-bag or what?

Mods, I guess I'm looking at you for advice?

I'm a ****** bag all of the time when it comes to this. I've found 3 or 4 people on HBT that as soon as I read their introduction post, I got that feeling and googled their username and found out their true age. I have no problem doing it and I don't think you should have any qualms doing it either. Go for it, be a ******!

Yeah, that's absolutely NOT a ****** move, and in the context of HBT it's highly appreciated by the mod squad. Especially when it's clear that someone's underage, they really aren't welcome here.

Unfortunately, *warning! I am gonna sound OLD!* people that young do not have the maturity to refrain from posting *****y stuff that they think is cool, but just irritates the rest of us.

I respect your asking. You have done your duty! I will be happy to stamp your non ****** card to renew it's validity.

No under 21 ****** bags allowed. :D

I think maybe the US is the only place that makes people wait until 21 to drink. How about we say no ****** bags under the legal drinking age of your country of residence? Gives the place a little more of an international flair.

I'll go slightly against the grain here.

As far as *****ebaggery goes, intent is relevant.

If you're reporting him because he is underage, not *****ey.

If- like your post makes it appear- you don't really care about the age issue, but want to exploit it to get him booted just because you think he is dumb and has poor spelling, that is pretty *****ey.

Fingers. We do exactly that. We look up the IP to verify. Regardless of your personal sentiments, we need to keep the best interests of the site on mind.

Fingers. We do exactly that. We look up the IP to verify. Regardless of your personal sentiments, we need to keep the best interests of the site on mind.

Regardless of my personal sentiments? Didn't you just agree with them? If you're enforcing membership based on local age of majority laws, we're in complete agreement. Those are my personal sentiments and it's not regardless of them, it's in accordance with them.

Regardless of my personal sentiments? Didn't you just agree with them? If you're enforcing membership based on local age of majority laws, we're in complete agreement. Those are my personal sentiments and it's not regardless of them, it's in accordance with them.
Just guessing but maybe olllo meant the generic your, derivative of the generic you.

Actually, the personal sentiment part most certainly referred to the "*********" and "international flair" comments.

Whether the underage posters are *****ebags or not is irrelevant, and we don't enforce the rules for any particular effect other than to protect the members' best interests.

Actually, the personal sentiment part most certainly referred to the "*********" and "international flair" comments.

Whether the underage posters are *****ebags or not is irrelevant, and we don't enforce the rules for any particular effect other than to protect the members' best interests.
My bad. Enforce away.:)

Sorry for the confusion, Fingers. It was, indeed, a new thought and I was using the editorial non-specific your.

When I check in with nmy mobile, I can't execute a line break for a new paragraph.

If- like your post makes it appear- you don't really care about the age issue, but want to exploit it to get him booted just because you think he is dumb and has poor spelling, that is pretty *****ey.

Agreed. Sounds like you're using the age thing as an excuse...

I'll go slightly against the grain here.

As far as *****ebaggery goes, intent is relevant.

If you're reporting him because he is underage, not *****ey.

Agreed. Sounds like you're using the age thing as an excuse...

I'll disagree. There's a huge difference between juvenile *****ebaggery (see 4chan) and adult *****ebaggery (see Debate forum). Adult *****ebaggery is a fact of life on the internet, but if the forum TOS explicitly says "nobody under legal age of consumption", then it's reasonable to be upset about and prompted to report a juvenile *********. I'm all for less *****ebags.

I'll disagree. There's a huge difference between juvenile *****ebaggery (see 4chan) and adult *****ebaggery (see Debate forum). Adult *****ebaggery is a fact of life on the internet, but if the forum TOS explicitly says "nobody under legal age of consumption", then it's reasonable to be upset about and prompted to report a juvenile *********. I'm all for less members.

Fixed that for ya...

Sorry for the confusion, Fingers. It was, indeed, a new thought and I was using the editorial non-specific your.

When I check in with nmy mobile, I can't execute a line break for a new paragraph.

Thanks for clearing that up, Ollllo. The reason that I'd brought it up was not to be contrary, but because I have an 18 year old son who is legal where I live. He hasn't expressed an interest in brewing himself yet, but he's definitely a beer connoisseur. It's not only possible, but it's quite likely he'll be brewing before he's 21 and we all know where the best source of brewing wisdom is located.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand. Once the age of the person was discovered, it should be irrelevant as to whether that person is annoying or not. Not only do we have a duty to protect this site socially and legally, but the parents of these kids might appreciate it if we don't teach their little darlings how to do things they don't want them doing.

We not only need to allow people from other countries to post if they are under 21, and can legally drink beer where they live, but we should also allow more younger women to join up too. I mean, we should be actively pursuing them! MORE YOUNG WOMEN! MORE YOUNG WOMEN! MORE YOUNG WOMEN!

Come on, join in with me! MORE YOUNG WOMEN!

We not only need to allow people from other countries to post if they are under 21, and can legally drink beer where they live, but we should also allow more younger women to join up too. I mean, we should be actively pursuing them! MORE YOUNG HOT WOMEN POSTING PICTURES! MORE YOUNG HOT WOMENPOSTING PICTURES! MORE YOUNG HOT WOMENPOSTING PICTURES!

Come on, join in with me! MORE YOUNG HOT WOMENPOSTING PICTURES!

Fixed it for you ;)

Well, it happened. Not two days after posting that my 18 year old son hasn't show an interest in brewing, he approached me and suggested I teach him. Of course it wasn't as overt as that. He sauntered over while I was brewing and suggested he 'assist' me with one so he could learn the process. I turned it around and suggested that I assist HIM with his first brew. That seemed a much better option to both of us.

Since I've decided to forgo AG brewing in this god forsaken northern weather, we'll be doing an extract recipe. He's a real hophead so he wants to do an American IPA. Unfortunately the HBS is a fair distance away so he'll have to wait for the next trip to the big city. In the interim we'll be hitting the books and finding something that will suit his palate. I have enough equipment to get him started, but if he wants to make it a regular thing he'll have to pick up a few carboys of his own.

I don't know if he wants to become a member here, but after this discussion I know he'll be welcome. Just to be on the safe side, if he does sign up I'll send a PM to the mods so they know that he's legal.

*sniff* It makes a Daddy proud... :eek:

I don't know if he wants to become a member here, but after this discussion I know he'll be welcome. Just to be on the safe side, if he does sign up I'll send a PM to the mods so they know that he's legal.

... just remind him that we've got no way of verifying someone's DOB... ;)

So every time I read something this guy writes I think, o **** what a d-bag, and wow, he can't spell, what a moron etc. I then begin to think how much better my day would be not having to read things he has written, and consider reporting this flagrant violation of boards TOS, to someone so I never have to hear from him again, or well at least a couple of years till he is old enough.

I would say yes....but really im not trying to start a fight or offend you, but common if you truly let someone over the net bother you so much I cant imagine how flustered, and aggravated you might get over ones *****ey Tendencies in real life. Remember nobody likes a nark. Instead of comming down on him for his actions just ignore them. Let the *****es of the land be themselves, I mean common sometimes you gotta love them D-Bags, their fun for the whole family to rip on. Maby im biased because Im a young brewer(22) and started right before I was 21, but this is just my honest opinion and I really dont mean to start a confrontation.

I remember going in to buy my HB kit thinking I really hope they dont try and deny selling this to me, But then I realized it wasn't illegal to sell grains, hops etc. It becomes my problem after I buy the ingredients for beer if yeast decides to eat my sugary barley drink and turn it alcoholic.

Your motives in reporting him are irrelevant. He's the one breaking the rules. Ultimately you're protecting the continued operation of a site you enjoy. If you'll sleep better at night or feel better about yourself because I say you're not a ********* for reporting him, so be it. If I thought someone's contributions to this site were truly out of line or inappropriate (direct personal attacks or hate mongering come to mind and are usually covered in the TOS) I would report the comments to the mods with an explanation of why I thought so, age not withstanding. The fact that he's underage only gives me more reason to report him.

Terje

Edit- That sounds kinda harsh after I re-read it. I guess what I mean to say is whether you're reporting him for his age because of his comments or just because of his age, it's still the right thing to do reporting him. Didn't mean to sound like a ****** with the feeling better comment.

Y I guess what I mean to say is whether you're reporting him for his age because of his comments or just because of his age, it's still the right thing to do reporting him. Didn't mean to sound like a ****** with the feeling better comment.

I don't disagree with that, but when it comes to the morality of it (which is really what is meant by the "*****iness"), then the motive does matter. In the end, the same action will be taken, but WHY you did it matters when it comes to whether or not you are a "good guy looking out for the best interests of the site" or "just a jerk that is willing to take advantage of the rules to get what he wants".

For an example, if you voted- whether for McCain or Obama- because you believe in their policies, then you are a responsible Voter (maybe not too bright, but that is a different thread ;)).

On the other hand, if you voted for your candidate because of their skin color or lack therof, you are a ******.

Same action, but the motivation behind the action is very relevant to the *****eness.

In this case, the OP makes it sound like he could care less about the underageness of the poster, but when he noticed it, he saw a chance to exploit the rules and get him booted- not because he cares about the site, but in a personal attempt to screw the guy over.

That, to me, is *****ey.

Rules are meant to be broken
Forums have moderators

IMO, it is a total d-bag move. If you have enough time to go around researching peoples age and reporting them to the proper internet police, then yeah, I call d-bag.

I'm a ***** then. When I see a new post and the poster is talking like an underage kid or something seems fishy I'll spend the time (about 30 seconds of googling) to see where else he/she posts and verify age. I am not a moderator, but I feel it's in my interests as well to ensure that this forum doesn't come under scrutiny because some mom finds beer under her son's bed and then finds out he's been here at Homebrewtalk. To me it's an obligation, but that might be because Homebrewtalk is important to me and is one of the main ways I socialize.

I can see where the OP's first post might have made it seem like he was more interested in reporting the guy because he was annoying vice underage, but I'm sure that really wasn't how he meant to come across.

I am not a moderator, but I feel it's in my interests as well to ensure that this forum doesn't come under scrutiny because some mom finds beer under her son's bed and then finds out he's been here at Homebrewtalk. To me it's an obligation, but that might be because Homebrewtalk is important to me and is one of the main ways I socialize.

+1,000!!!!!!!!

Or worse....makes hooch, beer, or apfelwein, gets drunk, kills someone driving, or gets killed, and TX gets sued....In this litiginous society and with MADD running around trying to bring back prohibition? It could happen/

Granted someone could lurk and the same thing could happen, BUT if the fool posted and we didn't step up....

The strength and soundness of any "neighborhood" is driven primarily by self policing of the core "citizens".

We (mods) don't have time to read every post or peek under the kilt of every new member.

If members are breaking forum rules (age, personal attacks, spam, etc...) the the report buttons make it easier for us to review and if necessary, take action.

There are plenty of "report" posts that I elect not to act upon. Sometimes a post reporter sees it differently that I do.

BowlMovement (sorry BM!) here is right.
Self moderation is GOOD for society. It means that people are active in wanting to serve and preserve the society as a whole. It means that we know what we want and that we're not going to allow people to come in that we don't want - why would anyone want to hang out with someone they don't like?

We see it some of the noob hate threads - it's self policing. People get angry at the lazy people who don't want to search because we want strong self sufficient brewers to hang out with on here, not a bunch of sponges that feed off the community. And it's a good thing.

Seems to me like you're doing it just cause he annoys you. Crap reason, but you are backed by a viable reason. Just ignore his posts. I liked your one line in the original post "I then begin to think how much better my day would be not having to read things he has written"." Who the hell is holding a gun to your head telling you which threads to read? That's the guy who should be reported! The one holding a grown man hostage. Surely that's against forum rules.

Report for the right reason, not cause there's sand in your Vag

This is kind of a moot point since I'm guessing we're banned about a half dozen accounts for violating the age requirement since this thread started.

It is really no different than reporting spam or any of the other TOS violations with the exception that willful disregard of the age requirement puts the entire community in jeopardy.

Look. In terms of being a DBag...

If you come here to circumvent the alcohol laws in your community and you don't have the common decency to show some discretion and wisdom, then you are de-facto asking of this community to abet you in this endeavor.

Do us all the courtesy, please.

Don't place this site or it's members in a position of jeopardy. That is the ultimate DBag move.​

So let me put this logic out there for you...

I reported the guy on that other forum and I felt like a giant Duche, but then I came over here to HBT and found a guy who was under age that I knew nothing about and as I have to "play fair" I reported him as well.

Interestingly, reporting the guy here made me feel less Duchy about reporting the other guy, as I can justify it as being good internet citizen or whatever, but now I am kind of locked in and have to report any and all under age board users to not feel like I was being a dick towards the guy on the other board. Do you think every time I report someone new, I'll feel less bad about exacting revenge on an internet moron I hate?

Not sure about the d-bag thing, but maybe a little lame. Are you also calling code enforcement on your neighbor if he forgets to take care of his lawn one week? Rules are rules and laws are laws, but sometimes not always caring about other ppl business is not really a bad thing (IMO)
:D

I'm a ***** then. When I see a new post and the poster is talking like an underage kid or something seems fishy I'll spend the time (about 30 seconds of googling) to see where else he/she posts and verify age. I am not a moderator, but I feel it's in my interests as well to ensure that this forum doesn't come under scrutiny because some mom finds beer under her son's bed and then finds out he's been here at Homebrewtalk. To me it's an obligation, but that might be because Homebrewtalk is important to me and is one of the main ways I socialize.

I can see where the OP's first post might have made it seem like he was more interested in reporting the guy because he was annoying vice underage, but I'm sure that really wasn't how he meant to come across.

Nope, not a ******. If you actually read my post, I said it is the intent that matters.

You report because you don't want the community to suffer because some underage kid is on here screwing around.

The OP did it because he has a personal issue with the kid- and his post more than just "made it seem" that way- it pretty blatantly comes right out and says it.

Big difference.

Back