time to keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seckert

Reaction score
Ok so the time, or should i say the money has become enough that i am going to start kegging. Question for everyone since i am sure that most people on here like to find deals like i do. Where is the cheapest, but best quality 2 keg set-up online? i priced this at my LHBS and they wanted over 450 for this. I have to be able to find it for cheaper. I only want picnic taps for right now since i am not sure how i am going to design the outside of my kegerator. Thanks for everyone's help ahead of time!:mug:

Check out KegConnection.com

That's where I got my single keg kit and it looked like the best deal along with the best reviews from homebrewers on here

I've had good luck with 2 companies:
http://www.bvrgelements.com/index.php

and

http://stores.kegconnection.com/StoreFront.bok

In my case it was actually cheaper to buy some stuff from one, and some from the other, even with split shipping. I've bought kegs from a few different LHBS thinking, "Hey if I have an issue, I can bring it back" which is true. However what I've liked about both of these places is, "Hey I have a problem with a leaky connect, here is my video from my phone", and the response has been, "Cool, we've mailed out replacement parts." In some senses, MUCH easier to deal with it all over email. Also, look at buying 1 empty tank online and immediately flipping it local, for me it was $20 cheaper than buying a full one at the LHBS.

Sometimes they have deals too, buy 2 kegs get 2 replacement o-ring kits. Stuff like that.

I built all my stuff piece by piece. It's not a kegerator, it's just a craigslist fridge, kegs, Co2, regulator, hoses, disconnects and picnic taps. Guessing I spent around $300 including kegs. MAKE SURE your regulator has a check valve (not a relief valve, a check valve, that doesn't allow gas back into the regulator from the kegs). I went through 3 that did not have the check valve...each one got stuck wide open over time and had to be disassembled and cleaned. I have the taprite now and it works quite well.

I could plumb taps through the door, and I may, or I may just run lines upstairs to a tower.

thanks for the info given so far...i will look into those companies. I have thought about the fact that the LHBS could help me, but sadly everytime i have gone in there to ask about something they were not as helpful as i wished they had been. so online i go for just about everything now.

Oh, I use a 20oz. paintball Co2 tank, BTW. People scoff at it, but it carbs and serves several kegs between refills. The adapter was $15 so it hooks to a regular Co2 regulator. The tank itself was $20, so $35 compared to $100 for a large Co2 tank, plus refills cost me $3.75.

ok so which is better or easier to find deals on...pin lock kegs or ball lock kegs? not sure which to go with.

ok so which is better or easier to find deals on...pin lock kegs or ball lock kegs? not sure which to go with.

Hello, Pinlocks are cheaper.

I went with http://www.beveragefactory.com because the price of there all brass 3 tap tower was so cheap, the kegs they sent were in great condition, 1 keg had the rubber handle coming loose, I called and let them know, they sent another keg out right away and didn't want the loose handle keg back,
Great customer service too.

Cheers :mug:

I found the "kits" very limiting. I didn't want to buy something and then have to re-buy it later.
Since I was new to kegging, I wasn't very confident about the parts. What really helped me get comfortable was going to my LHBS and touch all the parts. You could buy a few of the parts from them.

Example things I didn't want to re-buy....I'm probably going to do soda in the future, so I wanted stainless wherever I could. The hard part was the shanks. I thought the kit I picked had stainless shanks, but after ordering....turns out that it didn't. I was able to just delete shanks and had him apply the $ to a bigger 10 lb Co2 tank.

There are a lot of threads of pin vs ball lock, check 'em out. I went ball lock for 2 reasons, I can fit 6 in my fridge exactly (probably only 4 of pin) and I wanted the pressure release pull.

i did some more research into them and decided to get ball. I went through keg connection as they offered what i was looking at for a decent price and they also had the flat shipping...now i just have to wait for them to show up at my house...I am excited since i have 2 carboys that will go into them as soon as they arrive!:mug:

Ok so the time, or should i say the money has become enough that i am going to start kegging. Question for everyone since i am sure that most people on here like to find deals like i do. Where is the cheapest, but best quality 2 keg set-up online? i priced this at my LHBS and they wanted over 450 for this. I have to be able to find it for cheaper. I only want picnic taps for right now since i am not sure how i am going to design the outside of my kegerator. Thanks for everyone's help ahead of time!:mug:

seckert - Maybe consider this one? http://www.birdmanbrewing.com/keg-kit-2-tap-standard-homebrew/

thanks, but i already got pretty much the same thing, for just about the same price too, but thanks for the input

Back