Allow cold kegs to warm up for weeks then bring back down to temp?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skibumdc

Reaction score
Can kegs that have been cold and used for serving be alllowerd to warm up to room temperature for a few months and then brought back down to cold without issue?

Long story short, have to shut down my keezer and put in storage during a divorce, until I find a new place I can start it back up again.
Sadly, I don't have any friends that will babysit it during that time.

So will they survive? Or should I do what I'm planning which is to bottle as much as I can from the kegs and dump the rest?

Option 3= blowout party and drink as much as we can?

hmmm, I think I know what people will say now, lol

I lost power during hurricane Sandy for a few days and my kegs got as warm as 60 degrees until the power came back on, once chilled again, everything was fine.

But in your situation, I say have a blowout and once the dust has settled, get brewing and kegging again.

I'm curious about this too, but I think Option 3 is the way to go, especially under the circumstances.

The kegs will be fine. I have, on occasion, taken a keg out of the kegerator for a month or two in order to put something different on tap, then put it back on as soon as another tap became free. No issues at all.

That said, there's definitely something to be said for option 3 if your situation allows. ;)

I've done it without problems, And a few times, the beer ended up even better than when i took it off the tap!! But option 3 is a viable option for sure!! Moving party!!:mug:

+1 on Option 1. Just put a brown back on tap a couple of weeks ago that sat out in my brew room for about 2 months after being on tap for a month. No issues, and it had cleared up considerably. #3 is always a winner too though.

as long as the keg is sealed the pressure/carbonation inside will be fine

the only concern i'd have is if the storage has extreme high temps which wouldn't be ideal to store any beer, kegged or bottled

Back