Hoppy Brown Ale Recipe Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EyePeeA

Reaction score
I was browsing recipes online and was inspired to brew a hoppy brown ale that claims to have a balance of hop bitterness and malt sweetness. I would like it to have a wave of dank hop aroma and a rich, but not sweet, slightly roasty dark malt flavor.

This will be a partial mash beer. Let me know what you think and if any edits are recommended. I am looking to gain most of my IBUs from the long whirlpool/hopstand added at flameout.

90 minute boil, 5.5 gallons post-boil
1.066 OG
1.014 FG
18 SRM
IBUs = 22 in the boil (plus another 25 hopefully from the hopstand)

5.0 lbs. Pearl Malt
4.5 lbs. Extra Light DME
1.0 lb. Munich 9L
1.0 lb. Crystal 75L
0.5 lb. Victory Malt
2.0 oz. Roasted Barley

0.25 oz. Columbus at 60 min
0.50 oz. Columbus at 7 min
0.50 oz. Simcoe at 7 min
1.25 oz. Columbus at whirlpool/hopstand
1.25 oz. Simcoe at whirlpool/hopstand
1.25 oz. Columbus at dryhop
1.25 oz. Simcoe at dryhop

WLP001 Yeast Starter

the only changed i'd probably make is to switch the roasted barley to chocolate malt for a bit less roastiness, but with only 2 oz you'd probably not even taste a difference. I'm definitely interested in how this turns out, ive been trying to make a good hoppy brown ale a couple times, havent gotten it down it.

I think Chinook and Nugget have a pretty dank aroma. You might give those a try, if you've got them around.

I'd use Vienna instead of Munich, and probably around 2 lbs of it.
Also bump the Victory up to a full pound.
Hops look alright.

I like hoppy browns around 50-60 IBU's

Back