Is there a term like "session ale" for average-strength beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rexbanner

Reaction score
Is there?

If session ale is 4% and under, what is 5-6%? Average beer? Normal beer?

By the way, I refer to any beer 7% or more as a "big beer." I know a lot of people use "strong ale" to refer to 8% and up. Since IPA isn't considered a strong ale and usually tops out at 7%, you might say that it falls in with the other 5-6 percenters.

However, I like the term "big beer" more and will use it describe IPA because if you are helping an inexperienced beer drinker pick out a beer, a 7% beer is undoubtedly big (and might get them too drunk) and IPA is undoubtedly big in hops, which a lot of people might not like.

I don't know if there is a definition for any beer based on ABV. I always thought of session beers as being under 5% and big beers being over 8% but it doesn't really matter in a lot of ways.

I don't know if there is a definition for any beer based on ABV. I always thought of session beers as being under 5% and big beers being over 8% but it doesn't really matter in a lot of ways.

Yeah, I mean it's nothing official, just a handy way of describing beer to casual beer drinkers.

I use ABV to describe beers to people, because I feel like it's objective. If you say a beer is "light," does that mean pale, low in alcohol, or light in body or flavor?

Many people think anything dark is strong, too. I like using terms that denote ABV as a starting point, and then you can get into flavor. It's also a good way to avoid getting someone too drunk. I think all breweries should really stick an ABV (or range if it varies) on their beers.

Back