Maryland - Potomac river water adjustments

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevedasleeve

Reaction score
I'm using tap water with a carbon filter. Here in Cabin John its derived from the Potomac river - soft generally. What salt additions are you adding for hoppy beers?

Steve da sleeve

I'm using tap water with a carbon filter. Here in Cabin John its derived from the Potomac river - soft generally. What salt additions are you adding for hoppy beers?

Steve da sleeve

If you are sure it has reasonably low mineralization, you could probably use the recommendations of the Water Primer in the Brewing Science section of this forum. I prefer adding a modest sulfate content to my hoppy beers to accentuate bittering and the hops. You may or may not.

It would be wise to find out more about the Secondary Parameters of your tap water from the water company or have the water tested on your own. That is the best way to figure out what you do and don't want to add to your brewing water.

Check out the Bru'n Water website too. The Water Knowledge page may be useful in helping you understand where you're going with water adjustments.

Yea I have the water report for this region. I'm just interested in how others in the area are interpreting it! So I'll start: I'm adding ( for a 7-8ish srm IPA) 10 or so gallons total water for a 5 gallon batch 12-16 grams gypsum and 6-10 grams epson salt + a touch of baking soda. I'm using a spread sheet targeting a Burton like water. Part goes in the mash to lower the ph, the extra goes in the boil towards getting a sulphate heavy profile loosely based on Mosher's ideal.

Back