Advice from hop heads please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EnjoyGoodBeer

Reaction score
Brewed my first IPA. I used all cascade hops. I want to dry hop and I have.
1oz centennial i think around 6 AA.
I have 1 oz of summit at 13 or 14 AA.
And about 23 oz cascade 6.2AA.

My question is would 1 oz of summit at 14AA and 1oz contennial along with 1 or 2 oz of cascade be good on a dryhop? Im looking to do around 3 or 4 oz for dry hop.

Ive never used summit, but i'd start with an ounce each of centennial and cascade for the dry hopping. What was your hop schedule during the boil?

I like the combo of Centennial and Cascade in dry hops but they're similar aroma profiles with Centennial usually being about double AA%. Since you have so much more Cascade, I'd throw in four ounces or so and let it ride for 5-7 days. I find it helps to swirl your carboy every day or so to get all that hoppy goodness into your beer, especially if using whole hops, just be sure that you have a blanket of CO2 on top before you start swirling--you don't want to oxidize that good beer...

AA doesn't really matter for dry hopping.

Since you only used cascade in the boil I would go for cascade the whole way through. Mixing in the centennial wouldn't hurt though.

6lb extra light dme

Half pound Crystal 60l
For got the other (at work)

all AA was 6.2% and all cascade

2 oz @60
1 oz @25
1. Oz @ 15
I think half oz at 5
Half oz at flamout
Half oz of sweet orange peel 5 mins

I was thinking to do 3 oz cascade and 1 oz centennial for dry hop, but when i whent to lHBS i got 1 oz summit.

This is only my sencond beer I put together and im new to this.

Sounds great, I'm curious about the orange peel. I think [cram] has a good point about keeping it a single hop effort, although hopheaded fool that I am I would throw it all in. Please let us know how the orange peel works out.

normzone said:
Sounds great, I'm curious about the orange peel. I think [cram] has a good point about keeping it a single hop effort, although hopheaded fool that I am I would throw it all in. Please let us know how the orange peel works out.

Yeah im wondering myself, i only used half the pack brewers best sweet orange peal (dryed) i used half oz instead of 1oz.

I was thinking keepibg it all cascade, but also if i dry hopped it with something else itll have a different nose to it.

I tasted it last night already got my fg after 8 days 05 yeast is a beast. I did not not taste the orange peel. Maybe later when the brews more mature.?

EnjoyGoodBeer said:
Yeah im wondering myself, i only used half the pack brewers best sweet orange peal (dryed) i used half oz instead of 1oz.

I was thinking keepibg it all cascade, but also if i dry hopped it with something else itll have a different nose to it.

I tasted it last night already got my fg after 8 days 05 yeast is a beast. I did not not taste the orange peel. Maybe later when the brews more mature.?

I dont know that the orange peel will come through. It wasnt a big amount and there's a bit of hops it would have to get past. Maybe just a little bitterness instead of flavor from the orange peel. US-05 is my go to yeast for 90% of my brews, love the stuff!

If you only used a half ounce you will likely not taste anything after the beer is finished and carbonated. If you do taste anything it will be very subtle and will fade quickly.

Sounds like you have a good plan! I have an IPA made with all cascade that is awesome. I love the taste or Cascade in american ales.

EnjoyGoodBeer said:
6lb extra light dme

Half pound Crystal 60l
For got the other (at work)

all AA was 6.2% and all cascade

2 oz @60
1 oz @25
1. Oz @ 15
I think half oz at 5
Half oz at flamout
Half oz of sweet orange peel 5 mins

I was thinking to do 3 oz cascade and 1 oz centennial for dry hop, but when i whent to lHBS i got 1 oz summit.

This is only my sencond beer I put together and im new to this.

Just FYI I did an IPA with fresh orange and lemon zest (cut off thin strips and soaked in vodka to sterilize) and it was really good. The citrus oils are pretty volatile so the flavor does fade fairly quickly, but I drank the last 6 pack 9 months after brewing and the citrus flavor was still noticeable although they were not as up front as it was in the beginning.

kroach01 said:
Sounds like you have a good plan! I have an IPA made with all cascade that is awesome. I love the taste or Cascade in american ales.

Thanks an I agree. However I have had many commercial brews with cascade and I like them but that is one hop I can very much identify.

Im trying to get something that i have not had, but either way its my first IPA and I made it :) not from a kit either.

The one I did before this one was my take on belevoureds hopped wheat. I did a hoppef wheat with nz nelson and cascade dry hopped with cascade im bottling that this saturday. Im hopeing the wheat can be picked up do to my extract brewing, from what I read getting good wheat beer is not the same as AG. Prost all.

WoolyBooger said:
Just FYI I did an IPA with fresh orange and lemon zest (cut off thin strips and soaked in vodka to sterilize) and it was really good. The citrus oils are pretty volatile so the flavor does fade fairly quickly, but I drank the last 6 pack 9 months after brewing and the citrus flavor was still noticeable although they were not as up front as it was in the beginning.

Did you add to boil with this zest? Or in primary/secondary?

EnjoyGoodBeer said:
Did you add to boil with this zest? Or in primary/secondary?

I put in in the secondary with my dry hops. Cascade and Summit if I recall correctly... It's been a while though.

jammin said:
Dry hop with some Summit if its not too late. It has a tangerine/citrus flavor to it. Good stuff.

Right or just all of them. Now im thinking about doing it all cascade. An making another this week of a different IPA. :) going for 4 batches in 4 weeks.

Update: Well I just dry hopped 4oz of cascade. So this will be an all cascade brew whent heavy on the dry hops ( least I think so.)

Well got it bottled several hours ago. I had a lot of hop trub at the bottom (weight was a lot too) but when I was racking to my bottle bucket all the orange slices were making it a bit complicated. (mad)

I also had to go with table suger, ive only used dextrose for all my batches. I wonder if theres a difference?

Well juat cracked a bottle on the 3 day mark, tast great but maybe all that cascade hids a 65 ibu. Cant wait for another week. Sure it'll be better.

Back