Better Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The "facts" presented on that page in regards to the dangers of plastics are questionable at best.

Also why are you feeding children beer? :drunk:

If you are a child or super elderly i can understand maybe being more cautious about leeching from some types of plastic, but if your imbibing 4-12% ABV drinks on a regular basis from brewing, plastic leeching should be the least of your worries ;)

Unless you are one of the very few... Have you looked in your refrigerator lately? I bet there is a lot of food in plastic in there!

I have a glass carboy but have been hearing about better bottles being useful. With that said, I don't know the plastic type that us used for better bottles. Does anyone care to share that and also, my reasoning for asking can be read in the following link:

http://www.healthychild.org/live-healthy/checklist/plastics_what_do_those_numbers_mean/

According to that website no plastics are safe so I don't understand what point you are trying to make?
By the way, I deem the claims on the website you posted as questionable as well, I don't see them citing any sources either, just making claims.

Thanks for the help. I pointed to that site to get an idea about #2 plastic for myself and to know by asking you guys, exactly what better bottle plastic was made up of. The reason I was asking was because I was trying to get an idea on what the impact of 1 gallon milk jugs would have for small batch brewing.

Milk jugs aren't very thick plastic so you're going to get a lot of oxygen permeation. It could probably work but you can't fit a one gallon batch in a gallon jug because you'll lose a lot of beer to blow off.

Better Bottles make great fermentors and come in various sizes. I wouldn't worry too much about oxygen permeability because if you use a fluid filled air lock or ever open the fermentor for testing, you will allow far more oxygen exposure than any plastic fermentor will allow through permeability.

I use better bottles for all my secondaries like fruit it dry hops and have zero flavor contribution from the plastic. Fwiw I say go for it.

Back