How long will keg stay cold?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pat3rol

Reaction score
I'm bringing a keg of homebrew to a neighbors octoberfest. I don't have a cooler big enough for the corny and my kegerator is a regular sized fridge. So the question is how long will the keg stay cold if it is left out to serve in the backyard?
PS no jockey box either

most important question is "what temp will it be outside?" i've been to parties where we leave it all outside all night, and it all stays cold. it'll only get as warm as the temp is outside

There would be all kinds of variables (ambient temperature, solar exposure, wind speed, etc) at play, but one thing is certain, it will warm up a lot slower if you heavily wrap the keg in towels/blankets/winter parka/whatever.

Even better, a kitchen trash bin could hold a corney and enough ice to keep it plenty cold...

Cheers!

Along the lines of what day_trippr suggested: when I'm moving kegs I find they fit pretty well in my HLT (10 gallon cooler). I can fit plenty of ice around the outside of the keg, the top 1/3 or so sticks out but that's not a problem. More insulation than a trash can and it's something you probably already have...

ive had great success using rubbermaid bins or the round plastic bins used for 1/2 barrel kegs at parties in extremely hot conditions

as long as you keep the bottom of the keg cold where it draws from you should be fine

Did the old just leave it out and drink as fast as possible. It stayed cool enough for most of the night. Got a little foamy towards the end. I'm gonna look into making a mini jockey box out of an 8 qt cooler

Latest posts

Back