Buying bulk hops which ones??????? =]

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZamaMan

Reaction score
Hey all I gonna be buying some bulk hops from my LHBS. I mostly wanna get hops for my Ipas, amber's, and pale ales. I like stone brewings beers, flying dogs raging *****, DFH 60 and 90 min ipa, sierra nevada pale ale.

With my taste in mind which hops should I get.
Just ordered a lb of simcoe hops for 30 bucks. Was thinking a lb of cascade, Amarillo which I think they might be out of. Want at least 2 more hops. Something for general bittering and something for over the top flavors. Was thinking chinnok, magnum centennial and columbus as good options for me.

Centennial is like an "extreme" cascade. I am never using magnum again.. it gave me a really "chalky" sort of flavor. Columbus is a good hop, so is chinook. I'd suggest using centennial with cascade to really get that flavor.

Centennial is ok, but I far prefer good old Cascade. Chinook is unique, works great alone in dark ales, and fills out a big hop profile as part of a blend in pales. +1 for Amarillo, it brings tasty stonefruit stuff.

You might get tired of the huge hop flavors, so make sure you get something mellow too. I suggest Crystal. It's quite versatile; it makes a dynamite hefeweizen, a zinging light lager, and blends well with typical AIPA hops.

Hey all I gonna be buying some bulk hops from my LHBS. I mostly wanna get hops for my Ipas, amber's, and pale ales. I like stone brewings beers, flying dogs raging *****, DFH 60 and 90 min ipa, sierra nevada pale ale.

Just ordered a lb of simcoe hops for 30 bucks. Was thinking a lb of cascade, Amarillo which I think they might be out of. Want at least 2 more hops. Something for general bittering and something for over the top flavors. Was thinking chinnok, magnum centennial and columbus as good options for me.

Dude 30 bucks for a lb??? You got ripped off man.

http://www.hopsdirect.com/store/

You can get 3lbs of hops for 30 bucks on this site depending on what hops you pick!

+1 Amarillo is the S**T man!

It kind of sucks for me that I love Rogue Yellow Snow IPA, found out it was all Amarillo, and brewed a clone as one of my first brews. I mean, it was great...but now I want to branch out and use different things but know I need at least 2oz of Amarillo in everything to really love it.

It kind of sucks for me that I love Rogue Yellow Snow IPA, found out it was all Amarillo, and brewed a clone as one of my first brews. I mean, it was great...but now I want to branch out and use different things but know I need at least 2oz of Amarillo in everything to really love it.

I feel your pain man, My Rye Brown Ale i just made got hit with 4oz Amarillo Dry hop just so i could get my Amarillo fix in the beer! But i also love me some fuggles,Chinook,Simcoe as well. Oh hell who am i kidding i just love hops, i have not used a single hop that i didn't like even cluster which makes many brewers cringe at the thought lol.

Having a lb of each on hand is never a bad idea, you never know when your gonna get that itch to hop burst a beer with a full lb of hops, i have done it many many many times. Here is my list of what i like to keep on hand.

Amarillo
Fuggles(Us or UK either one)
Goldings(Us or UK either one)
Chinook
Cluster(i know i know everyone seems to hate this hop but its awesome in a cream ale)
Saaz
Columbus

Honestly if i had the money and storage space i would order a lb of every hop on the market lol.

Honestly if i had the money and storage space i would order a lb of every hop on the market lol.

I recently brewed 3 beers using a total of 26.2oz of hops and 27 different hops (for my marathon celebration). Just being able to go through and smell 27 different hops was amazing. Well worth the cost of buying them all an ounce at a time.

I recently brewed 3 beers using a total of 26.2oz of hops and 27 different hops (for my marathon celebration). Just being able to go through and smell 27 different hops was amazing. Well worth the cost of buying them all an ounce at a time.

WOW WOW WOW and i thought i loved hops! You got me beat hands down! :mug:

WOW WOW WOW and i thought i loved hops! You got me beat hands down! :mug:

Haha. Yep. A DIPA, IPA, & Triple (each beer got .5, .3, & .2oz respectively). I broke all down into 2 three gallon batches and used different yeast strains on each too. Oh, and the timing of the hop additions was decided by random number generator. If any of these turns out even halfway decent I'll post the recipe. :p

Surprise stand out hops for me were: Nugget, Summit, & Motueka if I remember correctly. My brewing assistant declared he'd consume Centennial in any form from my rectum. Just food for thought. :cross:

With what you have on hand and plan on ordering already, I would throw in a noble variety and a high AA% variety. Saaz or hallertau are great, especially if you ever decide to brew a nice lager - and something like warrior or bravo would be good to use as your bittering hop . . . great bang for the buck.

You can get 3lbs of hops for 30 bucks on this site depending on what hops you pick!

That was $30 for a lb of Simcoe. Simcoe is in very short supply right now, and the supply is going to keep shrinking until the fall. So that might be the reason for the steep price. The only place that has it in stock locally is selling it for $3/oz because he has to buy it retail and has to limit sales to 2oz/person.

I was talking to a rep from Victory the other day and he was saying they had to drastically cut back on production of their, IIRC, Headwaters Pale Ale because simcoe and citra are in such short supply.

Sounds like you need some warrior. Most around lately seem to be 17.2 AA which gives you a lot of bittering for the money. Look into farmhouse brewing supply for pricing too. They also carry Apollo, which although I haven't tried yet, comes in at 18AA.

My list would be, Chinook
Amarillo
Columbus
Cascade
Citra
Simcoe
Sorachie ace
Willamette
Kent Golding
Perle
Saaz
for starters. I even combined US Perle &Czech Saaz in my APA. This list will cover just about anything you care to brew up.

Okay awesome guys. Thanks for the list. I'm thinking my first pickings will be Amarillo, cascade, centennial, Chinook.

Not simcoe hops. This time of year under 2 bucks an oz is good. Never even tried simcoe my but seems to be on lots og the beers i love.

All I can say is that just gave me wood!!!

+1 to picking up a noble hop as well. When I went to buy bulk I decided on hallertau, cascade and willamette. I felt like it gave me the widest variety of styles that I could brew.

Just saying you might want to consider getting a few versatile hops as well. You might want something different besides hoppy american beers at some point. Buying hops by the oz for those aren't too expensive though

Just got a bulk order of the following, plan to make a lot of APA's and IPA's:
2 lbs Ahtanum
1 lb Magnum
1 lb Bravo
1 lb Chinook
1 lb Galena
low supply on following @ time I ordered so pick up what I could of
4 oz Cascade
4 oz Centennial
2 oz Amarillo
2 oz Simcoe
1 oz Summit
should have good variety for what I intend to make.

Maybe you haven't noticed but no one has simcoe ..

ahhhh i always buy up in bulk in fall and the lasts me to the following fall or longer so i never really have to shop around for hops during the lean times

Back