My Black Ale Came Out Brown?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew Haus

Reaction score
I just brewed a partial mash 1554 Black ale kit from AHS and instead of a Black ale it looks more like a brown, quite brown. What gives? I did boil a full 5 gallons for the first time, instead of the 2.5 the directions called for. I had the pot size so I figured I'd go for it. The grain bill says is had black patent, could they have forgotten it? The OG was spot on. Was my full boil to blame? What will the outcome be? Taste like a 1554, but brown? Thanks...

Well we would need to see the total grain bill to determine anything. What was the cited SRM (color) value? I looked at New Belgium's site and didn't really see any info. They did have a picture and you're right it does look black. How does the grain come, all together? Reason I ask is if they sent the specialty grains seperate you probably should have had 2 bags...one in the chocolate realm and one in the roasted/black realm (guessing on this though).

One other thing. Did you look at a sample in a full glass like you'd drink it or just in the hydrometer tube?

If the flavor is correct, then the black patent was probably in the grain bag. I did their Swartzbier and it isn't exactly black, except in my Imperial pint glasses.

Boil volume would make very little difference.

I suppose it's possible that they expected a little more carmalization in a partial boil but I doubt it.

You WILL have more IBU however since you gained a bit more hop utilization in the full boil than the instructions/hop schedule accounted for.

If I remember correctly Austin pre-mixes all the grains into one bag and hand-marks the bag with it's contents. I suppose it isn't impossible that they omitted some dark specialty grains - but it would be impossible to determine after the fact. I'm sure that it will be a fine beer in the end, though.

The grains/extract were:
2.5lbs 2-row
1/3lb Black Patent
1/2lb Caravienne
and 5lb Amber LME

All the grains were mixed together in one bag which I steeped for 45 min. I'm not sure of the exact SRM but from my experience at the bar, it is in the blacker relm of things. My color is brown, very similar to the color of the Amber extract I used. It even looks brown in the carboy which typically looks dark anyway.

I'm inclined to think something was off in the grain measurment, but since they write the proportions on the bag (which I assume they do after they mix it), I thought I'd look at my process, which doesn't sound like it's too far off. Anyway, we'll see what happens....perhaps an award winning Black but Brown ale:D

Ahh that says it right there. 5.3 oz of Black Patent in that will give you brown to dark brown. I don't think it is nearly enough to make it 'black', especially without any other dark malts.

Do you happen to have the hops schedule? I would love to brew this, and I want to do a partial mash. AHS only gives you about 3.5 lbs for a partial mash, but I soon will be able to do 6 pounds.

One thing that surprises is me is how small of a grain bill that is. If I remember correctly, the 1554 black ale is over 5% ABV and from what you have given above I think it would be hard to get it over 4%, unless you did a mash instead of steeping.

Did you brew it with lager yeast?

Well there you go. I wonder why they didn't include enough Black Patent for a Black ale.

As for hops:
(60 min.) 1oz Styrian Goldings
(15min) 3/4oz Styrian Goldings
(5min) 1/4oz Styrian Goldings

Southern German Lager Yeast (White Labs)

I've also seen it:

6.5 lb Pale Malt Extract

1 lb Debittered Black Malt

.5 lb 30 L Crystal Malt

1 oz Styrian Goldings(60 minutes)

1 oz Styrian Goldings (15 minutes)

1 oz Styrian Goldings (0 minutes)

Yeast Safbrew T-58

At: http://www.realbeer.com/discussions/showthread.php?threadid=10416

You could get 8 ounces of Carafa III (which is like black patent, but de-husked and less harsh), steep it and toss it in.

Back