Thoughts on Rye

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpsloan

Reaction score
For my next brew, I was wanting to play with rye. I don't want a classic roggenbier, per se... just not a fan of the weizen yeasts. I was wanting to make a beer that is a little thin, quaffable, with a nice rye punch that isn't convoluted with too many other flavors. I was thinking it might also be nice to have it finish with a nice red hue.

So, here's my first thoughts on a recipe:

7 lbs American 2-row
2 lbs malted rye
8 oz Crystal 60L
2 oz Roasted Barley
6 oz Carapils
1 oz Liberty hops 60min
1 oz Saaz 5min
Safale US-05 yeast
Mash at 150d for 60 min., for a thinner body.

Now, here are my questions:
1. Is malted rye the way to go, or should I go with flaked rye? I've tried to figure out specifically what is the impact that each would have in a recipe. Most I can tell is that Flaked Rye gums up and makes for a cloudier beer and a difficult sparge... but I can get it at my LHBS. And is 2 lbs malted rye enough to come through in flavor?

2. I wanted the roasted barley mostly for color. Will the flavor overpower the rye? If so, will CaraRed be a good thing to use in its stead? (I don't mind a little roastiness, to be sure. Just want to showcase the rye on the palate first and foremost.)

3. Beersmith has this recipe coming in a little light in color. If I switch my base grain to Munich, it might throw me into the desired red hue I want, but will Munich convert the other grains, and/or will it add too much flavor to cover the rye?

1. With 20% rye, you'll be fine using flaked.
2. I'd use the CaraRed.
3. Munich would dominate the flavor. I'd increase the CaraRed for color.

I have heard good things about blending both Flaked Rye and also Rye Malt. One is more flavorful/spicy, one is more nutty/peppery?

I, too, have been wanting to make some sort of American Rye... I like your base for this... Here's the recipe I've been toying with, and debating brewing up:

Estimated OG: 1.055 SG
Estimated Color: 11.4 SRM
Estimated IBU: 24.5 IBU

8.0 oz Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM)
6 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
2 lbs Rye Malt (4.7 SRM)
2 lbs Rye, Flaked (2.0 SRM)
1 lbs Caramunich I (Weyermann) (51.0 SRM)
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM)
0.50 oz Centennial [8.00 %] (60 min)
1.00 oz Centennial [8.00 %] (10 min)

I would stick to 2-Row, rather than Munich, for the base malt. Subbing 1# Vienna for Pale could be good though.

I think I'm using the Caramunich in mine, rather than the CaraRed, since it lends more color than the Red does.

Got the yeast starter going for a somewhat traditional Roggenbier that is planned for this evening.

2kg Maris Otter
1.8kg Rye Malt
500g Munich
350g Aromatic
300g C-40
200g Special B
100g Pale Chocolate
Wyeast 3068
35g Liberty Hops (60min)

I think the flavors from Rye are pretty subtle so you may not see much out of 2#. I'm a little worried about my 4# no being enough.

Craig

Got the yeast starter going for a somewhat traditional Roggenbier that is planned for this evening. I think the flavors from Rye are pretty subtle so you may not see much out of 2#. I'm a little worried about my 4# no being enough.
You might be a bit light. Style guidelines call for 50% or more.

Even if you're looking for a subtle rye flavor, I'd add a pound or so of flaked rye or so more malted rye.

I've been unimpressed with CaraRed's ability to redden a beer. Stick with the roasted barley.

You might be a bit light. Style guidelines call for 50% or more.

I know I am light to style. I'm a little lighter than I would like but didn't do a full inventory before I ordered and don't want to wait for another order before making this batch.

Craig

I made a 33% ea 2Row, wheat malt, and rye malt. I found that I like a little less rye than that :D.

I also find the rye in hop rod rye to be a little much.

I made a rye IPA with a lb of flaked rye which turned out great.

I have a Rye Pale Ale in my drop-down. It uses Flaked Rye but it is very good. If your looking for a little more spicy character, add an additional half pound of flaked rye.

I'm not at home so I can't access my recipe, but I make a killer RyePA with 7 lbs of Pale LME, 1.5 lbs of malted rye (but I think I'll try flake next time around), .75 lbs of Victory, .5 lbs of Crystal 60L, and 3 oz of roasted barley for color. It is very dry and loaded with hops, but the hops don't dominate the rye, the complement them.

About 30% is the max I used. My favorite summer brew: 45% wheat, 25% rye, and 30% two row.

Oooohh...that sounds tasty!

Well, it's been about four months since I've done any brewing, due to... well, economics. But I'm coming back to this recipe, and from what I hear, I'm going to assume the following:

1. The color factor ought to come from roasted barley, and not from CaraRed.

2. I need a little more rye.

Since I'll likely be brewing on the 21st in observance of Patty's Day, I've altered the recipe to line up more with an Irish Red. Here's what I've got so far:

6.5 lbs 2-Row
2.5 lbs flaked rye
1 lb Crystal 80L
2 oz Roasted Barley
1 oz Mt Hood, 60 min.
Safale S-04 Yeast
Mash at 152 degrees for 60 min.

It's a little simpler, going for low hop aroma, and a clean palate.

Looks to me that you are going for no hop aroma. Instead of wasting all of that Mt. Hood at $2 and ounce why not just use like one magnum pellet to get the amount of bittering you will be looking for using the Mt. Hood.

I would go with 2 lbs of Rye Malt and one #of Flaked Rye. This will give you both the creamy and spicy from the flaked rye and the smooth malty nutty flavor from the malted rye. Add Rice Hulls just to make your life easier, like a healthy handful or two if you are really worried.

Well, the reason I have a full ounce of a hop that has a nice flavor to it, even though I'm going to boil all of the flavor and aroma into oblivion, is generally because I buy full ounce baggies of hops, and I generally don't store them. So, I picked a hop which got me to my desire IBU for the recipe.

I guess I could say "any hops with alpha around 5.5%". Throwing in an ounce is just easier for me is all.

Latest posts

Back