What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My last Organic British Bastard.Was great at first with the wlp005 british liquid yeast, until it turned all belgiany on me with a wild yeast infection-due to the vial gushing(first time using liquid-had no clue-said to shake it-apparently opened it too fast) all over my hand going to the fermenter.

Even this way now its unusual and interesting but overcarbed and not neccessarily that good. It is kind of like a Belgian Arrogant bastard. Its like mostly diacytal with some barnyard/leather and slight sulfer. Then some mildish noticable peppery chinook. Pretty passable for a salvaged infected batch.

KZE80 said:
Stopped by my favorite bottle shop to pick up an OCS to try...and heard the greatest news in the history of beer-news (well, for me at least). Firestone Walker AND Founders will now be distributed to Texas. FINALLY.

Me want KBS.

Wow! Thanks for getting my hopes up only to have them come crashing down. It looks like FW won't be distributed, atleast for now, in the Houston area. Don't they know I need some Wookey Jack NOW!! :p

Firestone Walker sounds nice. Have to try a bottle from the store one of these days. Now its Hopslam for me. Bought out the last 12 beers.

johns said:
Firestone Walker sounds nice. Have to try a bottle from the store one of these days. Now its Hopslam for me. Bought out the last 12 beers.

I'm curious about something. My parents live in West Chicago. Is Binny's carrying Hopslam? Or where could they find it?

My BSGA

image-1225229353.jpg

Honey Ale. (30%-honey) Turned out pretty good. Super low finish. Way better than Rogues mead,also. Sorry Rogue- a 5% mead? For a first mead I chose the wrong one to try.THink tea/ unsweet white wine. Just a guess maybe a mead should be at least 10% or something-but I dont know much about meads. This I at least enjoyed.

0117031929.jpg

Dont know if you can see the pic. Crappy bar lighting. Heady topper from alchemist brewing. I heard alot about it and had to try it.

Friggin NYC $12 bucks for this one can.

Safe to say its a one and done for me tonight.

How much is macro domestic beer in NYC? Last time I played there in 08 or 09, I want to say I saw people pay more than 5USD for a can of PBR.

My 15%abv mango wine. Damn this is easy to drink for how strong it is. I'm gonna need help keeping out of this so I can make the wife drink it and get her loaded. :drunk:

ForumRunner_20130117_190552.jpg

My BdG.

image-1832713313.jpg

Love popping the cork on a 750 of homebrew. At a slightly crushing 9.3 abv, you'd never guess it finished at 1.007 from the malt sweetness.

Enjoying one of the last pints from the keg. I call it mmmmm NWPA. Delicious... good thing I have a backup keg ready to be tapped... I think one or two more pints and I will be switching to the Alamo IPA i.brewed during the Alamo Bowl

Fireman's 4 Blonde Ale from Blanco Texas. Not bad for something light from a bottle. Says it is, and tastes like, a true ale.

image-781748255.jpg

nukebrewer said:
Since when did Heady start making it's way to NYC? I was under the impression it hadn't legitimately made its way out of VT yet.

I believe it is legitimately stocked in the bar. The name of the tavern attached to the bar happens to be called alchemy. I'm not sure if this is just coincidence or not but I've been to the bar a few times as it is close to my LHbS. A search on the net of places carrying it also brings up the bar as a known spot.

That is the beauty of NyC we are able to access a lot of beers from areas quite far away. If you have the dough to pay for em. Like my last post for example. 12$ was a little crazy. But it was a very good beer that I enjoyed. Not very bitter but with a ton of hop fresh flavor and aroma.

DisturbdChemist said:
Last one of the night. Lagunitas does in fact suck. A very good IPA. In a old school glass that's older than me lol. I want a pretzel bun now. :) Listening to my favorite band. Can't wait for the new album in March and concert in April!
Aah ****. Love me some Sevendust.

I'm drinking Tavern Ale again, it's pretty good. I won't have any home for about a month I have to bottle my altbier.

odinsgift said:
How much is macro domestic beer in NYC? Last time I played there in 08 or 09, I want to say I saw people pay more than 5USD for a can of PBR.

Yes prices are effin ridiculous in this city I call home. In manhattan it is common to pay anywhere up to $9 for a 12oz of corona and 6-8 for BMC etc. This is in the lounge/nightclubs of the city though. Bars in manhattan commonly do charge around 4-5 for BMC and nice craft and macros for anywhere from 6-12+ depending on "exclusivity" In BK queens PBR tall boys can be had for 3.50-4$ but also not outrageous to pay $5 for one. And the crafts are commonly $7 and same thing exclusive or hoppy etc price goes up.

Good thing is prices for grain and hops etc are pretty much the same as everywhere else so the cost effectiveness of brewing your own here is much higher.

:mug:

My desire to drink craft brews and try as many different kinds as possible has increased dramatically since I started brewing though. Causing my wallet and my liver.... And kidneys.....and uhhhmm that big electrical thing in your head...oh yea! My brain. to hate me.
:drunk:

I believe it is legitimately stocked in the bar. The name of the tavern attached to the bar happens to be called alchemy. I'm not sure if this is just coincidence or not but I've been to the bar a few times as it is close to my LHbS. A search on the net of places carrying it also brings up the bar as a known spot.

That is the beauty of NyC we are able to access a lot of beers from areas quite far away. If you have the dough to pay for em. Like my last post for example. 12$ was a little crazy. But it was a very good beer that I enjoyed. Not very bitter but with a ton of hop fresh flavor and aroma.

If I recall correctly, weren't there Heady limited releases to NYC, Boston, and Philly some time last year? I recall reading that somewhere (may have been on BeerPulse or something).

DC is a lot like NYC in that regard. You can get a lot of crazy stuff, if you're willing to fork out the change. DC also allows grey market sales, so a local beer bar had a full flight of Russian River over the summer. A single 10 oz pour of Pliny was $10. Their sours were 10 oz for $16.

NailGunGuy said:
No it's in the Quad Cities in Illinois. Great beer selection for here in Illinois.

What is that place? I'd like to visit it next time I visit my sister up there.

Dave37 said:
Yes prices are effin ridiculous in this city I call home. In manhattan it is common to pay anywhere up to $9 for a 12oz of corona and 6-8 for BMC etc. This is in the lounge/nightclubs of the city though. Bars in manhattan commonly do charge around 4-5 for BMC and nice craft and macros for anywhere from 6-12+ depending on "exclusivity" In BK queens PBR tall boys can be had for 3.50-4$ but also not outrageous to pay $5 for one. And the crafts are commonly $7 and same thing exclusive or hoppy etc price goes up.

Good thing is prices for grain and hops etc are pretty much the same as everywhere else so the cost effectiveness of brewing your own here is much higher.

:mug:

My desire to drink craft brews and try as many different kinds as possible has increased dramatically since I started brewing though. Causing my wallet and my liver.... And kidneys.....and uhhhmm that big electrical thing in your head...oh yea! My brain. to hate me.
:drunk:

Prices are ridiculous. What is like $20 for a pack of cigarettes now

Lushife said:
Prices are ridiculous. What is like $20 for a pack of cigarettes now

13 bones for a pack of Marlboro. Can get cheaper crap for 10-11. I dont smoke but my whole family does.

Can get em for cheaper though on the reservations.

Ethiopia its like 2 dollars a pack......20 USD WTF???

I recall meeting up with friends in NYC, at the same time meeting up with other friends from Montreal. Montreal friends were astonished how cheap cigarettes were in NYC. I was astonished. I don't know what the going Montreal rate is (never been), but if I had to pay NYC prices I might actually be able to make myself quit. If you play your cards right (and know who has what discounts when), you can still get em for about $3 a pack in VA

xMalachi said:
What is that place? I'd like to visit it next time I visit my sister up there.

This place is the RIBCO. Rock Island Brewing Company. They don't brew their own beer anymore, but carry a great selection of beer. Always have a great beer special. Paul and Mike are great bartenders.

Pretty proud of my first pils. Fk'd up on the decotions but did good with the hops (horizon/liberty) and managed a tasty 6%er. Needs to carb up more, but nice and clear with that pils bite.

image-2701298859.jpg

someone outta go south, buy a crap load and sell them in NYC. I bet they would make a small fortune.

When I lived in Jersey, I'd come down here, buy a few cartons and bring em back. Buy enough, and it can more than pay for the gas and tolls. Legal for personal use. What you're saying, yeah, that's one of those things you don't suggest on a public internet forum :mug:

About to crack open a bottle of the Vertical Epic 02.02.02 clone I brewed with a fellow club member (it was his first all-grain). He brought to a meeting last night, and it came out damned good (don't know how it compares to the original since I never had it, but we used the recipe they listed)

Drinking an AG White House Honey Porter that isn't fully carbed for "research" purposes. I'm actually really pleased with it. My expectations were low, but I'm pleasantly surprised by this one.

Affligem Dubbel. I just had a nice ribeye and washed it down with this. Malty and easy to drink. A nice change from all the IPAs i have had lately.

Back