I got into a wreck tonight...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dfc

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
First off, I'm OK. Tonight someone pulled out in front of me and I didn't quite have enough time to react. It looked like just a fender bender on the outside, but something is now wrong with my engine. I love my truck though. I have an '02 Chevy S10 Blazer that's got a 2/3 drop and I've had it since 2008. She's got almost 218K miles on her, but up until tonight the truck was running perfectly fine. Now, I'm hoping all that's wrong is a few busted engine mounts.

Since the truck is so old and has so many miles on it there's a good chance the repairs are going to exceed the KBB value. If that's the case I'll be sad to see the truck go, but I've gotten over 4 years out of a truck I paid 4K for.

The silver lining in this is that I really want a '67-'72 Chevy C10 and if my truck is totaled it'll be time to move on. I'm all about a short bed, but I'm not COMPLETELY opposed to a long bed. My next tuck may be something along these lines.

0903st_08_z+1968_chevy_c10_1970_chevy_blazer+chevy_c10.jpg

Dude, that sucks royally. At least you're ok, even if your truck isn't... Maybe time to move on up to a full size truck? I know that's what I'll be looking for when my 02 Ranger decides to give it up. I want the extra cargo capacity of a full size (or at least mid size if they still make them by then). There's been plenty of times when I could have used the extra cargo capacity.

I hope, at least, that the yackoff that pulled out in front of you had more damage done. :D It's amazing how those small cars just crinkle up when you just barely touch them. :eek:

That really sucks.
I like your thinking though.
I'm doing away with my thouraly modern rigs and going to all older cars and trucks with carbs and other parts I can recognize and work on.
I've got an 84 Chevy truck, a 54 Belair and when the trailblazer is gone, I'm thinking about a C3 corvette. Early '70's to '82. I know '82 doesn't have a carb, but it's easy to put one on.

Dude, that sucks royally. At least you're ok, even if your truck isn't... Maybe time to move on up to a full size truck? I know that's what I'll be looking for when my 02 Ranger decides to give it up. I want the extra cargo capacity of a full size (or at least mid size if they still make them by then). There's been plenty of times when I could have used the extra cargo capacity.

I hope, at least, that the yackoff that pulled out in front of you had more damage done. :D It's amazing how those small cars just crinkle up when you just barely touch them. :eek:

I actually prefer the small trucks and if I were to get a C10 it would be the biggest truck I have owned. In all fairness the guy who pulled out in front of me was a nice guy who made a mistake. He was completely cool about the situation and extremely apologetic. The guy made a mistake as we all do and I can forgive that, but he was driving his parents car and there was a 4 year old in the vehicle. I'm just glad no one was hurt. I probably had more damage to my truck though...

That really sucks.
I like your thinking though.
I'm doing away with my thouraly modern rigs and going to all older cars and trucks with carbs and other parts I can recognize and work on.
I've got an 84 Chevy truck, a 54 Belair and when the trailblazer is gone, I'm thinking about a C3 corvette. Early '70's to '82. I know '82 doesn't have a carb, but it's easy to put one on.

I'm completely with you on that. To me there's just something about late '60's to early '70's vehicles that's just sexy. I've been looking at the C10 for a while now and have told myself that's going to be my next vehicle. My truck has been completely paid off for 4 years now and I'd hate to change that, but if it must be done I'm going to get what I want.

You know how many of those trucks I had back when they were just a cheap old truck?
I would love one now for my daily, but they cost enough for me to get a decent '50 ford F1.

I'm mostly into older now, as in I NEED a model A roadster type older.
I do love those '70ish C10 trucks though.
They look very nice, pretty modern in the suspension and drivetrain, good brake systems, stout enough to use to tow or haul, and chicks dig em!

I think the one you used as an example picture is very nice. Needs smaller wheels, Radial TA tires and it needs to be dropped about 3".
Maybe a 396 or 454 and a 4 speed to make it about perfect.

A little chop to the roof would be nice, but way beyond my skill sets or check book to chop a rig.

Do it. Those late model Chevy trucks are cool.

And I hear ya on smaller trucks. I've had the full 8 feet. It's not that it's difficult, just smaller is easier. And I kinda like bucket seats in a truck too.

I'd go with a k10/20 long box or a suburban. I just got a 1999 K1500 suburban and I love the truck. I personally would never buy a truck that didn't have 4x4.

But if you like them slammed go with a c10. They are really cool! That body style and the one before it are awesome looking! Try and find a rust free all original with low miles. Don't buy one that's already been gone through. Do as much as you can yourself. The long box isn't that long if it's just a single cab.

K5 blazers are also really cool!

I used to have a 1972 Chevy truck, long box. I loved it! Of course, when I had it, it really wasn't "vintage" or anything. It was just a 10 year old truck. :D Shifting it took some getting used to- the clutch was funny compared to all other trucks I've ever had. It might have been just a quirk of that truck, but I drove my ex's 68 and it was sort of the same way.

I'd go with a k10/20 long box or a suburban. I just got a 1999 K1500 suburban and I love the truck. I personally would never buy a truck that didn't have 4x4.

But if you like them slammed go with a c10. They are really cool! That body style and the one before it are awesome looking! Try and find a rust free all original with low miles. Don't buy one that's already been gone through. Do as much as you can yourself. The long box isn't that long if it's just a single cab.

K5 blazers are also really cool!

He's looking for more of a hot rod type truck though.
I love Suburbans and I haven't owned a truck wasn't for wheel drive in many many years, but he's not looking for just functional. He wants style and something that doesn't blend in quite so much is a 1999 Chevy.

I'm going to get an older two wheel drive truck soon also I hope. Your basic hot rod with more engine then you need, and supposed to stay a lot cleaner than a regular truck.

Yeah I know. I wasn't trying to change his mind on the body style. That body style is awesome! I love the way the 60's c/k trucks look.

There's other trucks though. And stuff from the 60's can be hard to come by.

Could get a C20 with a big block.

I've been seeing alot of semi abandoned rat rod project trucks on craigslist in my area. Alot of cool looking 1950's Ford's. Some panel and ice cream trucks too.

60's and earlier are really my thing. 30's to 50's better yet.
The problem with abandoned rat rod projects is you have to undo all that rat rod work. Every rat rod I've seen is sloppy, dangerous builds. I can only imagine an abandoned project as being an even worse job since they lacked the skill or ambition to complete the project.

60's and earlier are really my thing. 30's to 50's better yet.
The problem with abandoned rat rod projects is you have to undo all that rat rod work. Every rat rod I've seen is sloppy, dangerous builds. I can only imagine an abandoned project as being an even worse job since they lacked the skill or ambition to complete the project.

I hear ya! I have a 327 out of a '68 passenger vehicle that I want to find a camero or chevelle roller for. It's got a crane fireball cam and aftermarket pistons.

I would carefully consider an abandoned project vehicle. The ones I saw look like they didn't get very far. In their defense those early vehicles weren't exactly designed with safety in mind.

The panel trucks look completely unmolested but are probably junk.

Sorry to hear about the wreck, but glad to hear no one was hurt and no one lost their head.

Love the 60s C10s, if I were in the market for another toy, I'd be looking in the same area. But (for now) 1 vehicle from 50 years ago is enough.

Good luck!

Nice truck and you sound like you know what you're talking about but I just thought I would mention the common comforts of a modern vehicle and gas mileage. Old trucks may lack things like power stearing and 4 wheel drive. My buddy has a 67 Ford (beautiful truck by the way) and it gets 6-8 mpg. Just a few things to think about.

Nice truck and you sound like you know what you're talking about but I just thought I would mention the common comforts of a modern vehicle and gas mileage. Old trucks may lack things like power stearing and 4 wheel drive. My buddy has a 67 Ford (beautiful truck by the way) and it gets 6-8 mpg. Just a few things to think about.

I've got a bike that I ride most of the time in the summer. My truck right now gets about 20 MPG. The bike, closer to 50.

You could squeeze 10 to 12 mpgs out of it if it's tuned up and you don't drive it with a lead foot.

No full size truck will get "good" gas mileage.

You have to step back farther than he's looking to not have options a power steering power brakes, and 4 wheel drive goes way before that.
Something like an early Chevy truck is very easy and inexpensive to upgrade also.
You can buy a kit to put any engine and transmission you want in there, you can put large four wheel disc brakes on it. There are multiple suspension and steering upgrade options.
You can do pretty much anything you want with one of those Chevy trucks and somebody has already engineered and provided the parts to make the conversions.
That's one of the advantages of working on such a popular and abundant rig.

The Fords aren't quite as easy to upgrade but you can do it.
If your buddy guess 6 to 8 miles per gallon, either there is something wrong or he has a big block heavy duty truck.
Some of the Ford engines like the 360 aren't as efficient either.

That body style should have independent front suspension like the new Chevy's have.

If it has two axles it's gonna ride rough on pavement, but they're better for offroading.

CD player install is probably gonna be tricky. I've seen a lot of people put them in the glove box.

You don't really need rear disk brakes.

It may or may not have a/c.

No ABS but depending on where you live you shouldn't need it.

I used to have a 1972 Chevy truck, long box. I loved it! Of course, when I had it, it really wasn't "vintage" or anything. It was just a 10 year old truck. :D Shifting it took some getting used to- the clutch was funny compared to all other trucks I've ever had. It might have been just a quirk of that truck, but I drove my ex's 68 and it was sort of the same way.

I first started driving on a '72 C10. In fact, I drove it home from the Sec. of State office when I got my license.

It had a straight 6 with three on the tree. After a while the shifter would sometimes get stuck in between gears and I'd have to get out, pop the hood and press the joint to get it to go into a gear, then get back in and try shifting again.

The clutch squeaked when you pressed and let up.

I burned the clutch out once trying to get it unstuck from the corn field. And from a few unnecessary quick starts...

Man, I loved that truck! There was absolutely NOTHING special about it!

It even had the 4-tone orange and white color scheme. (Three orange paint colors and the rust!)

Guy down the road had an earlier model, shortbox, green paint, chrome wheels, 350... So nice!

Back