Harborfreight drill for grain mill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smittygouv30

Reaction score
I have read that many people are using these drills to power their grain mills.

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-2-half-inch-heavy-duty-spade-handle-drill-93632.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-2-half-inch-variable-speed-reversible-d-handle-drill-47991.html

My question is with these HF drills, is there enough torque, are people having any trouble with their mills jamming? I'm planning on scooping one after work today to build a mill this weekend. It seems like a no-brainer when comparing the drill to a motor with all the pulleys. (Even though that would probably be a fun project) It seems much easier and much cheaper.

Also for any that have one do the drills come with an auto trigger lock or what are people using to keep it spinning? Zip tie?

I have one of these drills powering my MM2 and it rips. It doesn't bog a bit, even when milling hard stuff like carapils. It has a trigger lock built in, so it's totally hands free. I'll get the drill going, lock the trigger, dump in 10 pounds of malt into the hopper and come back in five or six minutes and it's done. For me, it's a way better, cheaper, easier and safer option than the gear motor with pulley system. I have mine rigged to a modified chair that puts the drill at the same height as the mill/base on a five-gallon bucket. Then I have a bolt going through the bottom of the chair to the port on the side of the drill where the side handle would normally mount.

Which one of the 2 would be best for milling? Both look easy enough to replace the switch with something mounted to a table if you don't plan on using the drill as a drill.

For what it's worth... My local home brew shop uses one of these strapped to his mill to crush grain for customers. He has not had to replace it (yet). But, like he said, if it breaks, he runs down to HF and grabs another one for a LOT less than buying and fitting up a large motor.

Which one of the 2 would be best for milling? Both look easy enough to replace the switch with something mounted to a table if you don't plan on using the drill as a drill.

I would go with the blue one. It has lower gear reduction and more torque. You really only need to be about 300 rpm on the mill anyway.

I too have the 1/2" heavy duty low speed drill on a monster mill 2 roller mill from northern brewer. Works great. Plenty of torque so hold on. Make sure the chuck is on tight. Yes there is a trigger lock.

I have one of these drills powering my MM2 and it rips. It doesn't bog a bit, even when milling hard stuff like carapils. It has a trigger lock built in, so it's totally hands free. I'll get the drill going, lock the trigger, dump in 10 pounds of malt into the hopper and come back in five or six minutes and it's done. For me, it's a way better, cheaper, easier and safer option than the gear motor with pulley system. I have mine rigged to a modified chair that puts the drill at the same height as the mill/base on a five-gallon bucket. Then I have a bolt going through the bottom of the chair to the port on the side of the drill where the side handle would normally mount.

That's exactly what I wanted to hear. I picked up the HD 1/2" drill today with an additional 20% off. 38 bucks total.

Do you happen to have a picture of your set-up? I don't plan to use it for a drill at all, I just want to mount it to a stand of sorts. I'm trying to gather some ideas. I have a Barley crusher that I'll be attaching it to.

Thanks!

I have the blue one. Works great. Milled over 30 pounds of grain today. I have it strapped to a board and the mill screwed to the same board. It's portable and has plenty of power. It has never jammed.

I mounted mine to a cabinet with the handle facing up
drilled a hole in the top of the cabinet and passed a bolt through and double nutted it
used the handle screw hole in the top of the drill to mount to the bolt
it works great its adjustable and I can remove it if I need to use it as a drill
for that kind of money you cant go wrong

I didn't know if people would be interested but I got the mill all setup, and used it today. It worked to perfection.

I ended up wiring an electrical outlet to be controlled by a light switch. I have the drill plugged into that outlet and the trigger locked in at the my preferred speed. All I need to do is dump the grain and flip the switch (or vice versa). Pretty sweet. Thanks for the ideas all who posted.

image-1246085758.jpg

image-173407151.jpg

image-2967740920.jpg

I purchased one after seeing this thread and getting a coupon from Discover for an additional 20% off at Harbor Freight, still waiting on my mill though but I like your setup and may have do something like that

Latest posts

Back