Let's talk Berliner Weisse...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_bird

10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I wanna do something else completely off the wall. I know it's the exact wrong time of year to brew this, but I wanna do a Berliner Weisse. I've got lots of thick, malty stuff in process anyway, something light and tart should be a nice contrast. Wifey might like it; if not, I know her friends will.

Who's done one?

I'm thinking ~70% wheat malt, 30% Pils to an OG around 1.036 - 1.038. Any specialty grains? I'm thinking not. Just wheat malt, or should I used some flaked wheat?

15 minute boil, as per Jamil. Tettnag, just the single addition, to maybe 10 IBUs, tops.

What yeast to use? I'll add lactobacillus at the same time, but what for the "regular" yeast? Hefe? A wit yeast? Saison yeast? Or just use Wyeast's Lambic Blend, which includes some brett and some lacto? I don't really want to "cheat" and just add lactic acid.

I'll buy a 6-gallon glass fermenter (I only have 5 gallon glass fermenters) for this, and have dedicated hoses, racking canes, etc. I'll bottle it so nothing gets in the keg lines.

What else should I be thinking about?

I don't know- but I do know that Sause just did one. He promised to send me some!

I'll be following this thread, since I also want to do one but don't have a clue on what's needed.

Per Jamil...is this from BTN? His book?
Honestly, I'd go as close to German style as possible. Look for authentic clones and base it off of that.

Kai should have some input here...so we need to find him!!!

YooperBrew said:
I don't know- but I do know that Sause just did one. He promised to send me some!

I'll be following this thread, since I also want to do one but don't have a clue on what's needed.

Second that!

I just did one(bottled today -what a coincidence), its an apricot berliner weisse inspired by Dogfish Head Festina Peche(apricot ended up tasting very 'peachy' but still more like an apricot). I did a sour mash, and it tastes pretty good. I added a pound of grain to do the sour mash, thinking that if there's lacto on the outside of the grain - why not use a lot?

This thread has some good info(sorry to reference another forum:eek: )
http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtopic.php?t=43587&highlight=berliner+weisse

And of course sause is now brewing his second batch, maybe he'll chime in. Jamil's berliner show was pretty good too. My next batch will be following his recipe - he likes lacto and euro ale pitched at the same time.

Don't use the lambic blend - it'll take forever and add a lot of other flavors besides 'sour' from the lacto(lactic acid).

Talk to Sause, I think he just bottled his. I have been trying to get all the info out of him that I can, I am gonna do one here before too long.

I've got a Berliner in primary. Basically followed the BYO recipe:

4.0 lbs. (1.8 kg) Durst Pilsner malt
2.0 lbs. (0.91 kg) wheat malt
1 hour single infusion @ 152F
1.0 oz Spalt hops (15 min)
Wyeast 1007 (German Ale)
Wyeast 4335 (Lactobacillus) bacteria
Got a OG of 1.030
Only a 15 minute boil.

I pitched the lacto after cooling the wort and then added the german ale yeast 48 hours later (to up the sourness). Didn't do any starters.

I'm not so sure about how long to leave in primary/secondary (or even do a secondary). I've heard stuff all across the board, maybe just because people's fermentation/conditioning methods vary so much. Anyone have any advice on this?

I did about the same as jonsharp. I did 3.5lb 2-row and 2.5lb Wheat. Half an ounce of Hallertau for 15 minutes. Added the lacto and two days later I added the German Ale yeast. It definitely is sour at my tasting but not over powering like some of the Brett sours I've had. It will be fun to see this one carbed up. It might not be totally appreciated by everyone with out the shots they put in. But I like it quite a bit. I'm making another batch and just pitching on the yeast cake so I can see what the difference will be on pitch lacto before or at the same time.

Also: You should try doing a search before starting a new thread. :D

Ok quick question. If I did a sour mash and brought it up to temp for a while before blending, I would not have to worry about using separate equipment right?

Ryanh1801 said:
Ok quick question. If I did a sour mash and brought it up to temp for a while before blending, I would not have to worry about using separate equipment right?

I don't think so, just one mans opinion though. Wouldn't hurt to clean it extra good.

This a quote from some guy on the babblebelt on making a Berliner Weisse more sour:

"Vinnie from Russian River has given me the tip to make a starter for Lacto and Pedio with 80% malt and 20% apple juice

Pedio apparently produces lactic acid and does not produce alcohol. It also seems to be a better/bigger producer of lactic acid then Lactobacillus. I think for my next 'to style' Berliner Weisse I may try using both Lacto and Pedio.

Latest posts

Back