Visiting New Mexico

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustDave

Reaction score
SWMBO and I are getting married in September, and for our honeymoon we are going to recreate the trip to the Southwest we took a few years ago (Arizona, Vegas, etc.). However, we're also going to add New Mexico into the mix.

Any recommendations on places to visit in New Mexico? I'm thinking we'll probably go to Carlsbad Caverns, but are there any other places you would recommend? We'll only be there for about 3-4 days out of the whole trip ...

I've wanted to make the pilgramage, but haven't yet...

roadsign.jpg

The Gila Cliff Dwellings are pretty neat. Also closeby is the catwalk over whitewater creek near Glenwood. We're heading there in a few weeks for some camping.

If you're in Albuquerque, take the tram up to Sandia Peak for an evening dinner!! There's also a nice Old Town district that's got a lot of nice SW arts and crafts.

Santa Fe's a neat town with lots of little shops if you're into that.

Awesome. Thank you all for your suggestions. It's such a beautiful part of the country, I can't wait to go back.

White Sands national monument . There is a cool space museum their, also tons of F-117's fly over from the base there, its kind of cool to see them in formation flying into the mountains. Course im a plane freak.

Ryanh1801 said:
White Sands national monument . There is a cool space museum their, also tons of F-117's fly over from the base there, its kind of cool to see them in formation flying into the mountains. Course im a plane freak.
Private message me if you decide to visit White Sands. I'll get you a tour of Holloman that you won't want to miss.

olllllo said:
DaveyBoy:

What's your tentative Itin and route?
Well the whole trip is only from the 13th to the 23rd, and we're flying into and out of Phoenix .... so I figured we'd spend the 2nd half of that week in NM. But that part's flexible, and we don't have a set route. Lots of driving around the Southwest, but that's the fun part.

It seems like there are great places to visit in all 4 corners of NM, so maybe we'll just do one big circle :)

New Mexico is full of stuff to visit, it is also a big open space. Carlsbad is a long way from Albuquerque. The caverns are really cool, as is White Sands. There is some beer down there but not a great amount. Albuquerque, Santa Fe, Taos and Farmington are richer in that area. I love Mesa Verde, Chaco Canyon, Taos Pueblo, Ghost Ranch near Abiquiu. Depending on schedules and such I will be happy to show you around and point you in the right directions, set you up with some of the local breweies, whatever I can do.

Thank you all for the assistance and offers of guided tours. Definitely a great community we have here!

That southern NM drive is kind of a beast especially if done thru southern AZ. Dunno if I'd venture down there just for the caverns as I don't think there is much else around. In September I'd be hitting northern AZ and NM. Beautiful weather that time of year and a lot more sites besides roadkill. :cross:

DesertBrew said:
That southern NM drive is kind of a beast especially if done thru southern AZ. Dunno if I'd venture down there just for the caverns as I don't think there is much else around. In September I'd be hitting northern AZ and NM. Beautiful weather that time of year and a lot more sites besides roadkill. :cross:
I agree that northern NM is much more scenic and a bit more temperate this time of year, but September in southern NM isn't bad at all. There are certainly some sights to see in addition to the caverns.

Roswell, while a small and unseeming town, is certainly an interesting pit stop. Ask anyone there about alien abduction - you might be surprised at the answer.

Ruidoso is an awesome mountain town. Famous for the Ruidoso Downs horse race track, Ruidoso sits in a beautiful mountain pass near an Indian reservation. The race season will be winding down in September, but you might catch a race day. Ya gotta stop by the Inn of the Mountain Gods for dinner and cocktails...and maybe a poker game or some blackjack.

Cloudcroft is in the same mountain chain as Ruidoso, just a little further south. It is almost 9,000' in elevation, and the temperature rarely gets above 80. The Lodge is a gorgeous historic hotel/restaurant that serves a really tasty Sunday brunch.

White Sands will amaze you. It's like suddenly stepping onto another planet. Ya just gotta see it if you're anywhere nearby. The Northrop Strip (alternate shuttle landing site) is visible from high ground, along with some of the bizarre equipment on the White Sands Missile Range.

If you really want to drive out of the way, you can visit the Trinity Site, where the first nuclear test occurred. That's one attraction that I don't recommend unless it happens to be convenient along your planned route (which isn't likely...it's the middle of NOWHERE).

Yuri representing S. NM :mug:.

I figured you guys were still close to as hot as we are that time of year. Early Sep is bad here at 100+, but as it gets closer to Oct it starts getting really nice here too.

I was thinking of the drive from Sierra Vista, AZ until I hit El Paso. Wasn't pretty :). Thanks for the hit list Yuri for the next time I'm in S. NM.

New Mexico "Land of Enchantment"
or
New Mexico "When Colorado is just too fast paced"

Not busting on any one in particular... just Trustafarians.

Back