Any way to boost OG?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonyolympia

Reaction score
About four hours ago I pitched my yeast into a partial mash batch of stout. Before doing so, I took a hydrometer reading and saw that my OG was 1.04, when the target was 1.05. Only now do I realize the significance of this--I'm a very new brewer.

I'm wondering if I can add any kind of sugar, or do anything ELSE to get up to the target OG, now that I've pitched the yeast and put the airlock on.

You can add sugar (corn or table sugar), or add some DME. You should boil enough water to dissolve it in and let it boil for 15 min. Then cool it and add it.

Not that I am aware of. Some people add honey to secondary which will raise it some, but not enough to get it up 10 points. I would say just let it go, and enjoy it. It will turn out ok... Just not as high in alcohol as you would like.

yup, get some LME or DME, boil it for a few minutes to kill and bad stuff, chill it and pour it in. Just determine how much you need in order to get the OG up. The problem is that it may change the overall flavor profile a bit (hop profile, ratio of ingredients, etc). Are you worried about the OG for ABV reasons, or are you worried that the flavor profile won't be correct? If you're worried about ABV, don't be.

You should be fine on this batch, just going to have a little less abv. Also, are you sure you mixed up your wort enough that you werernt just pulling a sample off of your top off water? I typically mix with a sanitized mash paddle hooked up to an electric drill for 3-5 min so I get good mixing for an accurate reading and good aeration for the yeasties. In future batches, you can keep some DME around and mix some up in boiled water to add before you fully close up your fermenter for an og boost

If I used table sugar, what quantity would you recommend to boost OG .01 in a five gallon batch? And how much time do I have to do this? Should it happen right away?

If I used table sugar, what quantity would you recommend to boost OG .01 in a five gallon batch? And how much time do I have to do this? Should it happen right away?

Remember that adding sugar will result in a lower FG and a dry, less malty finish since it's a simple sugar. Just know what you're going to get before you do it.

Don't use table sugar. It will thin out a beer that wants a bit of body (it is a stout, after all), and you'll wonder where the flavor went.

If you don't have access to a pound of DME, just let it ride.

Is this the batch with 4 lbs DME and steeping grains? Didn't I tell you it would be at 1.040? Why do say the target is 1.050?

Let it ride. Plan for your next batch. Then stick with the plan.

Thanks, Frazier and everyone. Yes, this is the kit stout with the steeping grains and 4lbs DME. The ingredients list that my LHBS included said target OG was 1.05 and final gravity 1.01. I was just concerned that I had made some kind of bad mistake when I got 1.04 OG. Not enough squeezing of the grain bag? Should I have rinsed the bag? (I didn't.)

To be honest I wasn't even sure of the proportions of this problem, assuming it was a problem. Sounds like it's no bug deal. I'll just let the batch do its thing.

yup, no big deal... the min OG for a dry stout is only 1036, so 1040 is fine. I'd say that the kit has a typo if it only has 4# of DME and claims an OG of 1050. 4# of DME in a 5gal batch is only 1036. 1# of steeping grains shouldn't add too much to that (but I don't know what the grains are). I'd just let it ride as others have said.

Back