need help finding a recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LKHA

Reaction score
Want to brew a barley wine type beer on the first. HHave plenty of beer in pipeline so that is not a problem also a wine maker so the wait is not a problem.
My system is a 10 gal gott with keg boil kettle (elec) so should be able to do most any recipe. I have been looking a cant decide what i want to do so give me a nudge thanks

I have a strong preference for english barleywines. There are lots of different ways to approach this style, but I'm fond of keeping the recipe very simple. I think the key to getting a really rich deep flavor profile is to do a 2hr boil, and use a good English yeast. This combination produces lots of rich flavors from the extended boil, with a warmish fermentation for some good esters, but not fusels. My go-to BW looks like this:

20lb Maris Otter
English hops (I like challenger) for about 60-70 IBUs
WLP005
OG~1.100
Ferment around 70º

If you really want to add a little more character to it, I use 0.5oz dark toast French oak, and condition on the oak for about two weeks to get a light oak quality, but definitely don't over do the oak, you'll ruin it.

Back