Texas Twang (Jalapeno Cucumber Mead)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Racked the Twang off the cuke and jalapeños tonight. After only one week with the veggies, it definitely helped balance out the flavors. Getting much more cucumber to add to the jalapeño, and to cut down the hot alcohol. I'm surprised (only kinda - was hoping it would happen, and y'all said it would) it changed that much that quickly... Looking forward to sampling again after aging and bottling!

As an aside, I hate letting good food go to waste. Didn't want to just toss the mead-infused cuke and jalapeños, so I figured they'd make a good garnish for a Bloody Mary... And I wasn't wrong. ;)

image-1675418577.jpg

image-298308202.jpg

Awesome! Good idea with the bloody mary. Too bad i do not like tomato juice or bloody mary's. I need to make another batch soon. This goes too quickly lol.

Another note: Like i said a few post back the V2 of this got a 43 at a mead competition. I'm sure it almost placed and should ;). I sent the same batch to another and got a 23 with comments like "i do not like the combo", "the combo does not work". etc.. You can see that its just luck to win sometimes (right judges). Also how the same batch can get completely opposite scores and comments that make is obvious that that judge should not have gotten my mead. Very opinionated as I am learning. Plus taste stuff that I do not notice or do not believe that is in the drink. Anyhow. DRINK UP!

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1391385825.071153.jpg

Debuted "the Twang" at the Super Bowl party today... It's a hit! Excellent melding of flavors - get both the cukes and the jalapeños, along with the honey flavor, without any one dominating. I definitely want to save some for a competition - think this would do well (depending on the judges, I guess, as mentioned above)!
Thanks for the great recipe!

Can you explain the yeasts you used on this thread? I'm a complete newbie to mead making. What do the different codes mean. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

The yeast is a wine yeast. The ec 1118 is the name of the yeast you can get at a home brew store. I just like that yeast. It's a beast that can ferment upto 18% and does it fast and clean.

Sent from a turkish prison while watching movies about gladiators

I didn't have any ec1118 left but I had about 5 packs of K1V so I went with that. Although, I often use those 2 interchangeably. There may be a large difference between them but, I can't tell them apart in a brew.

Can't hardly wait till this stuff finishes.

I just realized that when I boiled the jalapeño and cucumber, the seeds from the cucumber got left behind. It's currently in the fermenter and the brew is chugging away. I'm thinking they'll all either float or sink. Ever have this happen?

It'll happen. You are going to have the seeds come out. Don't worry about them. There really not seeds like water melon. Just relax and let it ride.

Sent from a turkish prison while watching movies about gladiators

Nice! That's what I figured. Just wasn't sure if it would lend a bitter flavor.

Finally got around to making this one. If it turns out good, which I expect it will, I think a 5 gal batch will be in order. DisturbedChemist, how do you determine ingredient amounts when formulating recipes? I've got a couple ideas I'd like to experiment with but don't really know where to start.

I usually wing it. I have a good sense of what I am going for. I say caution on the low end. Easy to add than take away. I picked the amount I did and worked. I wouldn't change much on it depends on that you are after. Cucumber is mostly water and flavor comes through a lot. Hope that helps if it does. With these meads I like to wing it because it only it's one gallon

Sent from desk of Hedly Lamar. Thats HEDLY!

Update: Started 2/7/14. Racked today and added 1 large cucumber and 2 small jalapeño peppers. Tasted the hydro sample and it is really good. Lots of hot pepper and alcohol burn. Looking forward to letting it sit for a week or 2 and then racking a third time and letting it age. Probably open a bottle in the summer for a bbq.

1393692842058.jpg

Damn this stuff clears quickly. Just racked yesterday onto 2 jalapeño peppers and a cucumber and it's already getting clear.

1393806091133.jpg

The gravity before pitching was 1.120 and when I racked yesterday it read 1.010 (but there were bubbles causing it to sit a little high) so I'm guessing it's about 14%. Even with 1116 or 1118 yeast, my hydrometer never read below 1.000 so maybe the paper gage inside the glass is off. Either way, it tasted great.

The gravity before pitching was 1.120 and when I racked yesterday it read 1.010 (but there were bubbles causing it to sit a little high) so I'm guessing it's about 14%. Even with 1116 or 1118 yeast, my hydrometer never read below 1.000 so maybe the paper gage inside the glass is off. Either way, it tasted great.

Get some distilled water to calibrate it. It should read 1.000. Glad you enjoy it

Sent from Patty's pub while playing CharDee MacDennis.

Started this for my partner last night. Personally can't stand cucumber but she loves 'em. Nice to see how clear it gets.

How long do you usually age this for?

Currently Brewing: Cherry and Cinnamon Teabag Apfelwein; Mango and Cinnamon Teabag Apfelwein; Yooper's Banana Wine; Coffee Wine; Disturbd Chemist's Jalapeno and Cucumber Mead; Jalapeño Cream Ale

Aging: Various Teabag Wines; Cherry and Vanilla Cyser; Show Mead; Various Fruit Teabag Wines; Parsnip Wine

Drinking: Apfelwein; Hard Tea; Fruit Teabag Wine.

DC you're a damn good thread host. A year and a half since the original post and you're still replying to questions. Nice work. :)

OK, 48hrs after racking and I can read the box of cereal behind it. I've said it before but, wow this stuff clears fast. What a drastic difference in the color of the veggies too. On Saturday when I sliced them and racked onto them, they were a vibrant green and white. Now they look dingy and old.

1393897905143.jpg

OK, 48hrs after racking and I can read the box of cereal behind it. I've said it before but, wow this stuff clears fast. What a drastic difference in the color of the veggies too. On Saturday when I sliced them and racked onto them, they were a vibrant green and white. Now they look dingy and old.

And probably taste effin delicious!!

They do! See my above post about using them in a Bloody Mary... Gives it a little extra somethin'-somethin'!
;)

When you drink the finished product, did you serve cold or room temp?

OK thanks. I'm going to do a 2nd racking tomorrow to get it off of the jalapeño and cucumber and out of the dry hopped stage. This batch is crystal clear already. I can see right through the carboy and read newspaper through it. I plan on bottling next week and trying a glass.

I usually have it chilled like a white wine. Try it both ways and see which one is better.

I agree - try it both ways. I like it on the colder side also, but as it warms up more if the flavor and aroma is going to come out

Might try making this mead in the near future, dont have much experience with mead however and have a question:

Are you fermenting this in a fermentation chamber? If so, what temperature would be a good temp for this yeast? Or are you just fermenting in a closet at ambient temps?

Not sure if mead requires the very strict temperature control that beer does.

Thanks in advance.

Might try making this mead in the near future, dont have much experience with mead however and have a question:

Are you fermenting this in a fermentation chamber? If so, what temperature would be a good temp for this yeast? Or are you just fermenting in a closet at ambient temps?

Thanks in advance.

All depends on the yeast, and it's temp range. Some have a narrower optimal range than others, and can produce off flavors when fermented too warm. For the 1118, which I used (and I believe disturbed chemist did too), it's range is 10-30 C, which is 50-86 F. So, unless your room temp is warmer or colder than this, you should be good to go in the closet! That's where I did mine.

And in response to the other post - I didn't carb mine; just left it still when bottled. But a bit of carbonation might accentuate the taste somewhat... Won't know 'til you try!

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

What is the carbonation like on this?

I havent carbonated this mead or any meads as of yet. Mine are usually too alcoholic to carb naturally and usually make not enough to fit in a keg. You can try carbonating it if you like.

Thanks in advance.

what Fatschindee said below and above. Wine yeast can ferment in a wide temperature range and produce little to no off flavors at higher temp. I just let them go at room temp in a closet or someplace out of the direct sun. Meads if you use wine yeast are less picky with temperature.

All depends on the yeast, and it's temp range. Some have a narrower optimal range than others, and can produce off flavors when fermented too warm. For the 1118, which I used (and I believe disturbed chemist did too), it's range is 10-30 C, which is 50-86 F. So, unless your room temp is warmer or colder than this, you should be good to go in the closet! That's where I did mine.

And in response to the other post - I didn't carb mine; just left it still when bottled. But a bit of carbonation might accentuate the taste somewhat... Won't know 'til you try!

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

This.

Latest posts

Back