expired co2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottfro

Reaction score
I'm looking at purchases a used CO2 tank. They say that it expired dec 07. Does that just mean it needs to be rechecked to make sure it doesn't leak or something? Is that costly?

They're got to do a hydro test. Depending on where you're at, pretty sure you're probably looking at around $20 - $25 or so. Some swap places MIGHT take it, even if it's out of date. But, you should account for the cost of the test before deciding whether to buy the tank or not.

The welding place I use doesn't care, give them a bottle, get a full one. They do so much business that they send bottles out for testing every week.

i've also heard things about beverage grade co2. is this something i need to worry about at a welding shop?

scottfro said:
I'm looking at purchases a used CO2 tank. They say that it expired dec 07. Does that just mean it needs to be rechecked to make sure it doesn't leak or something? Is that costly?

It doesn't cost too much but it can take a while. I have a tank out for hydro and fill right now and they told me it would take about two to three weeks to get it back. It'll cost me $20.00 for the hydro and same for the fill.

Back