70/- feedback wanted

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your IBU's are within the style parameters. I wonder about your final gravity. The bottom of the style standard is 1.010, but I like mine with more body.

Why did you choose that yeast instead of a Scottish yeast?

Yeast is mostly availability and not having time to do a starter. I plan on mashing really, really high (say 158 ish) as I am shooting for 1.012 or the likes. Hopville mostly undershoots my final gravities.

Honey malt is kind of like a crystal malt so when adding all those up you hit about 20% plus 6% Munich which I think is going to be too sweet even for a scottish ale. I'd cut that back to 10% tops if it were me. Also, and again this is just me speaking, but I think that the beauty of brewing a scottish ale is the simplicity. I just did a strong scotch ale with nothing but Golden Promise, 10% munich and a dash of roasted barley for color. I personally think this style should be pretty simple.

http://beersmith.com/blog/2008/09/06/scotch-ale-recipes-beer-styles/

Honey malt is kind of like a crystal malt so when adding all those up you hit about 20% plus 6% Munich which I think is going to be too sweet even for a scottish ale. I'd cut that back to 10% tops if it were me. Also, and again this is just me speaking, but I think that the beauty of brewing a scottish ale is the simplicity. I just did a strong scotch ale with nothing but Golden Promise, 10% munich and a dash of roasted barley for color. I personally think this style should be pretty simple.

http://beersmith.com/blog/2008/09/06/scotch-ale-recipes-beer-styles/
The stuff about Scottish beer history at that link is just total and utter bollocks. Barely a word that's true.

The stuff about Scottish beer history at that link is just total and utter bollocks. Barely a word that's true.

I honestly didn't even look at the history. What's wrong with it? I was more just looking for a reference on the ingredients which seemed ok to me.

I honestly didn't even look at the history. What's wrong with it? I was more just looking for a reference on the ingredients which seemed ok to me.
Pretty much all of it is wrong.

On the question of ingredients, Scottish brewers were pretty boring, from what I've seen in brewing records. Grists for 70/- were mostly just pale malt, maize and sugar.

I've got the recipe for Maclay's 70/-, if you're interested.

1993 Maclay's 70/-

pale malt 95.00%
wheat malt 5.00%
crystal malt 5.00%
Northdown
Brewers Gold
Pride of Ringwood
Total 1.25 oz (for 6 US gallons)
OG 1036
FG 1009.5
ABV 3.51
App. Attenuation 73.61%