My secret weapon!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Steeping grain. Boiling hops.

Think it will bring water to a boil?

If the temperature controller is accurate and precise, you could probably use it for BIAB mini-mashes.

It might bring water to a boil, but it's not going to be any better than your stove, and in fact will probably be worse since it runs on household 110V AC.

If it can heat water to 150-170 and then boil it, I think I can be happy.

I need a porch steeper/boiler so I wont stink up the house.

I suspect it's control at lower temperatures is poor at best. Get it, test it out, and post up. Plus, it's probably made/designed, to heat a bird, NOT be filled with water, and then have grain added. That alone could be more weight than it can handle, causing it to fail in a horrible way (well, horrible for your batch that is).

Going too simple here... They work great for turkeys (my gf's family cooks their thanksgiving turkey in one of theses) but your bound to have more problems trying to brew beer with it than its worth. Keep in mind during your "boil" you dont want the lid on it, which also means this wont retain heat as well and will likely over work itself while under producing

27 dollars, I already bought it. It is bigger than the slow cookers at 18 quarts and cheaper.

I am gonna go on a limb and claim that if it bakes at 400 then it must get at least hot enough to boil liquid.

I will test it out soon.

Probably will make a wort then just freeze it for when Im ready.

OP, I guess you'll be the one to say if it worked or not. Good luck! Please post back with the results.

Well it is only 18 quarts...4.5 gallons. It might work for steeping/mashing a small amount of grains. I can't imagine boiling and/or fermenting in it. Much better products out there. Honestly the best thing you can do is get a turkey fryer/outdoor burner. You can get them for around 50 bucks on sale and they come with an aluminum pot. Here you go....http://www.target.com/p/turkey-fryer-3-in-1-multi-use/-/A-13445747#prodSlot=medium_1_1&term=turkey fryer The other drawback is that with your turkey thing you are only going to brew roughly 3.5 gallon batches.

I suspect it's control at lower temperatures is poor at best. Get it, test it out, and post up. Plus, it's probably made/designed, to heat a bird, NOT be filled with water, and then have grain added. That alone could be more weight than it can handle, causing it to fail in a horrible way (well, horrible for your batch that is).

Pretty much what I was going to say.
I would test it multiple times with water and with something cheap to represent the addition of room temperature grain.

I think it's going to be great for some deer stew, but I have my doubts about beer.
For $27 you don't have much to loose by checking it out though so do some testing and report the results.

Pretty much what I was going to say.
I would test it multiple times with water and with something cheap to represent the addition of room temperature grain.

I think it's going to be great for some deer stew, but I have my doubts about beer.
For $27 you don't have much to loose by checking it out though so do some testing and report the results.

If it works, I will take pictures of the temp readings.

I will first try to get water to boil.

I think it might be very convenient for mashing an all-grain starter wort in....that is what I would try it for.

Gonna fire it up to see if she boils water tonight.

Does sugar/malt water boil at lower temps?

I see why it is on sale. The black paint is kind of cheap... it already is chipping off the inner pot. I dont see this thing lasting too long.

She smoked when I cranked her on... residual whatever was inside.

Don't you clean out your cookware before you use it? This stuff is made in China by people making very low wages in what are typically not very sanitary conditions.

:) I rinsed it lightly.. this is a test run.

Taking looong time. I do see bubbles forming in the bottom though. Up to 170 at least for now.

If it can hold a light boil, I will be happy.

I might warm a big pot of water on the stove next time, then pour it in to start it quicker.

Barely achieves a boil.

I am not sure if I could recommend this solution to someone else however.

Barely achieves a boil.

I am not sure if I could recommend this solution to someone else however.

Thanks for the feedback, ryno! I always admire someone who is willing to take a chance. You did not lose by your experiment because we ALL learned! :mug:

....and now you have a nice big vessel to cook up a MESS of collard greens for new years!! :ban:

Back