Vac Sealer with Mason Jar lids?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Conodor

Reaction score
I seen someone mention that they use mason jars with their vac sealer.(edit: for hops) and pointed out that they use the below item.

Do you need 1 lid for each mason jar? or does this connect to the jar and seal the lid? meaning you buy one and use it over and over just need new lids?

Thanks!

2278512479239P.JPG

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=-1&SKU=12479239

I use it.

You need ONE of those attachments. It fits over the jar and lid and creates the vaccuum. Then you remove the attachment and go to the next jar...

When I got mine I started playing w/ all kinds of other stuff too. Just put the inside lid over the jar, then slide the vacuum sealer down tight. I keep chocolate candies and stuff like that in them to keep air and bugs out.

This has become my preferred method for storing hops and specialty grain. I use the small mouth Ball mason jars and can store roughly 1 lb of pellet hops or 1 lb of specialty grain in each jar. It keeps everything fresh and makes measuring and resealing very easy. I love it.

This has become my preferred method for storing hops and specialty grain. I use the small mouth Ball mason jars and can store roughly 1 lb of pellet hops or 1 lb of specialty grain in each jar. It keeps everything fresh and makes measuring and resealing very easy. I love it.

Sorry to necro this thread, but what size mason jars are you using to store 1 lb of pellet hops (that's what I'm looking to do, and I want to buy the right size jars)?

The quart jars will work just fine for one pound of hops. I buy my hops in 11pound bags so storage is very important. I go so far as to stick a plastic tube In the jar and flush with co2, then vacuum seal. I've had pellet hops frozen in that manner for over 2 years with no I'll effects.

Back