Self priming pump transfer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtbrews

Reaction score
I was considering buying a self priming pump so that I can do transfers through a hop back but my concern is that this will result in aeration and oxidized beer, even just minimal amounts.

Currently, I do most of my transfers with a co2 push and force the beer out through a racking cane but I don't think this method will create enough force to actually get the beer out of the carboy, through the hop back and into the next vessel.

Has anyone ever used one of these for transfers? Are there any tips for reducing aeration with this method? Any tips or insight are welcome. Thanks.

Not sure how you want to hook this up but most self priming pumps won't pump air (I believe perisaltic pumps do)
in other words you can't hook them up dry and expect them to draw fluid in

Not sure how you want to hook this up but most self priming pumps won't pump air (I believe perisaltic pumps do)
in other words you can't hook them up dry and expect them to draw fluid in

But isn't that exactly what defines a "self priming pump"?

Cheers!

I use a self-priming pump like this one: http://morebeer.com/view_product/17305/102345/Self-Priming_Diaphragm_Pump_for_Beer_Transfers and it makes transfers much quicker, easier, etc. but honestly, if I had to go back, I'd probably get one like this: http://morebeer.com/view_product/8124/102345/Variable_Speed_Diaphragm_Pump_0-3_GPM my only gripe with the first one is it has no variable speed control or even on off, I have it hooked up to a foot pedal switch just to stop it as needed. The pump is nice but almost a bit too fast at times, that's where the speed would be nice. Just food for thought, but has anyone ever tried attaching a valve to a self priming pump? I'm not sure if that would cause problems or just restrict flow (also not sure in this case if it would be best on the inlet vs the outlet side for the diaphragm's sake)

Back