Brew Binge: 2 days, 4 recipes, 25 gallons

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iXanadu

Reaction score
I've completed day one of my brew binge. The thought is to get a month or two's worth of brewing into a single week-end so that I can have more free week-ends goofing off with the family.

Didn't go as smooth as expected. Friday night, drank some friends double bocks' and got totally E-ffed up. Didn't get out of bed Saturday until around 10. I had new equipment specially ordered for the event, and couldn't get the thermometer to seal properly in the MLT. Was so busy wrapping up the Belgium Wit, forgot to boil sparge water for the Dunkel. All in all it was a long day. If tomorrow goes better I might try a double-batch day again, if not, I gotta think about it.

10 gallons of Biermunchers Blue Balls on boil, and a 5 gallon Dunkel in the MLT. Transferring sparge water to cooler in forefront.
photo-3.jpg

2 batches, 15 gallons put away time to get a beer and plan for tomorrow.
photo-2.jpg

All set for tomorrow, time to finish this American wheat and hit the sack.
photo-5.jpg

Just finished a two-batch week (a lot for me), a Fuller's ESB clone and an India Brown Ale. Going on vacation last half of October and into November...gotta get the pipeline full for the holidays.

I just wrapped up my first double batch day yesterday:ban: It never goes as smooth as you'd like, but all in all it was pretty good, and i've got beers in my pipeline!! Good luck with day 2!!

Today is off to a better start. The hefeweisen is in the last 30 minutes of rest. If I can remember to start warming the liquor for the second brew while fly sparging the first I'll keep up with my projected schedule.

Wow! Awesomely ambitious! Great work.

Finished up 21/2 hours ago. Today went better than yesterday although not perfect. But, I can't remember a "perfect" brew-day - when something doesn't go wrong, I'll make it up by doing something stupid.

If I invested in additional MLT and a HLT I could run 2 batches in parallel. As it is, I have dual burners and kettle so I single thread the mash, rest and sparge. I'm not sure I could keep everything straight with two simultaneous brews. Although most of the event is a bunch of waiting, there are tricky parts that could get overwhelming like setting up and starting a fly sparge.

I "think" I might try it again in a month or two. I have certainly jump-started my pipe line.

Latest posts

Back