far to many bittering hops...ideas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VonRunkel

Reaction score
Someone may have added 1.25 oz of cascade hops at 60 minutes to what was supposed to be a maple syrup porter. and then .25oz every 15 minutes for the rest of the hour during the boil...

my question is, how should I go about fixing it? My initial thought was add some dry hops. I have more than a few varieties that I could use but I dont remember what I have off the top of my head.

Is this a viable method to recover this beer, or is there something else I can do?

Thanks

what were you supposed to dump in?
1.25oz doesn't seem overly high IMO.
the dry hops wont do a thing, just add to the hop nose which you don't really want in a porter.
honestly, the only thing i can think of is boil some lactose and add it in the fermenter, maybe start with 1/2lb and go from there for taste?

Cascades are like 7% AA on the higher end. That's like 45 IBUs calculated, not even accounting for the fact that yeast is gonna reduce a lot of that and its a dark beer in the first place.

Thanks for the quick response. I transferred it to the secondary and snuck a taste...It was rather bitter.

It hasn't hit its FG so it still has time.

There was quite a bit of bitter taste to it. I guess time is a good method.

I was toying with the idea of breaking style and adding a bunch of hops aroma...

Back