Looking for tips on first sour beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonyolympia

Reaction score
I have some ECY01 (BugFarm) en route from New Jersey, and I'm in the process of putting together a recipe for my first sour ale. I'd appreciate any tips you folks can offer.

I envision this as something like a sour Southern English Brown. When it's ready, I plan to use a few bottles to inoculate the next sour beer, etc. etc.

My thinking in this has been influenced by Michael Tonsmire's "Brewing Sour Beers at Home" post:

http://www.themadfermentationist.com/2009/11/brewing-sour-beer-at-home.html

Here's what I'm planning:

1.045 OG

60% Maris Otter
15% Munich
10% Wheat
10% Crystal 80
3% Flaked Barley
2% Carafa Special II

16 IBU from EKGs at 60 minutes.

I know I'll need to mash high. Is 156F high enough? Does the OG and the proportions of wheat, crystal, etc. look right? Do you have any recommendations for fermentation temperature? Anything else I should think about?

Thanks in advance!

looks good to me. as for fermentation temps it's not that different than any other beer; stable temps in the low to mid 70's work well.

I have used ECY20 a couple of times, which I believe is the same as ECY01 at this point. That cocktail does a good job at fermentation. I've had no issues whatsoever. It takes off fast and fully attenuates. If you want to avoid a thin body, I wouldn't mash any lower than what you're targeting. Regarding fermentation temps, I would consider primary fermentation at typical ale temps, but I would do your long term aging in low 60s (61-63) to avoid letting acetobacter do its thing (I'm not a fan of acetic acid).

Another tip: try not to sample more often than is absolutely necessary. The pellicle that forms is a helpful oxygen barrier, and most of what you're doing with a sour is waiting...waiting...top off the airlock...waiting...waiting...[repeat]

Thanks guys. Now I'm thinking about the IBUs. From what I understand, the Lacto will be somewhat inhibited by 16 IBU. Is that correct? How does pedio respond to IBUs? Will the sourness overall be more muted, favoring funk and other flavors?

Speaking generally, what bitterness levels in a sour do you think produce the best fermentation characteristics?

Thanks guys. Now I'm thinking about the IBUs. From what I understand, the Lacto will be somewhat inhibited by 16 IBU. Is that correct? How does pedio respond to IBUs? Will the sourness overall be more muted, favoring funk and other flavors?

Speaking generally, what bitterness levels in a sour do you think produce the best fermentation characteristics?

i bet you will be fine with 16 IBU.

Back