English Pale Ale - Hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big supper

Reaction score
So far, my buddy and I have done a few batches of APA's. This time we would like to branch off and try making a English Pale Ale (ESB).

We have used EKG in a brown ale before, but more for bittering(60min and 30 min). This ale we will probably use EKG and/or Fuggles. I would like any input as to what people prefer for flavor/aroma additions as I am not so familiar with these hops. I was thinking of using EKG at 60 mins. as it is a higher AA%.

As well, this will be a mini mash. The store we go to does not have Marris Otter Extract, so we will have to use light LME (the DME is too expensive!). Are there any grains that will aid us in getting a more "English" taste? Probably will be using Crystal(70-80), maybe .5lbs of cara-pils, and up to about 2lbs of english pale ale(hugh baird) and whatever else.

Thanks in advance for the input!!!!

Hops...I'm a huge, huge fan on EKG. Fuggles will also get the job done. Willamette is a good substitute for EKG, as well. Lastly, for something a little off the beaten path, you can use Northdown, which I happen to really like.

Grains...try some biscuit and/or honey malts. If you can find some Gleneagles' Maris Otter, use that in place of the hugh baird. It won't necessarily give you a distinct "british" taste, but I've been a huge fan if Victory for a long time.

Evan! said:
Hops...I'm a huge, huge fan on EKG. Fuggles will also get the job done. Willamette is a good substitute for EKG, as well. Lastly, for something a little off the beaten path, you can use Northdown, which I happen to really like.

Grains...try some biscuit and/or honey malts. If you can find some Gleneagles' Maris Otter, use that in place of the hugh baird. It won't necessarily give you a distinct "british" taste, but I've been a huge fan if Victory for a long time.

Cool. Probably will throw in some biscuit........... .5lbs for a 5.5G batch?????????

Should we stick with one type of hop or mix EKG and Fuggles? I guess doing just EKG would give us a better idea of it's qualities?

You're definately on the right track. EKG and Fuggles are a classic English combination, you can't really go wrong there. Some medium-high crystal, use a little of the malto to simulate a higher mash and get a fuller body... carbonate on the low side.

Now, for a pale ale, you want some hop flavor and aroma, but not to the extent that you would typically find in an American pale ale. Still, you want some late additions and maybe a small dryhop.

Victory malt gives that classic english toasty/biscuity/nutty taste. I love using it in English ales.

Back