First all grain krausen question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wheels4

Reaction score
I brewed my first all grain last weekend 4/23. Everything went pretty good but I missed all my temps by about 4 degrees. Still had good conversion %73 and only missed my target by 4 points. After 7 days I took a gravity reading and was sitting at 1.01 (OG was 1.059). Still had a thick krasuen sitting on top. Took another reading today and still at 1.01 and still have the krausen. My question is I was going to rack to secondary this weekend and do another brew (summer wheat). If the krausen is still on top should I just scrape it off and rack to secondary? Or wait another week? I guess I could get another primary bucket but lets face it funds are tight everywhere. Just looking for a little help here. Thanks.

I brewed my first all grain last weekend 4/23. Everything went pretty good but I missed all my temps by about 4 degrees. Still had good conversion %73 and only missed my target by 4 points. After 7 days I took a gravity reading and was sitting at 1.01 (OG was 1.059). Still had a thick krasuen sitting on top. Took another reading today and still at 1.01 and still have the krausen. My question is I was going to rack to secondary this weekend and do another brew (summer wheat). If the krausen is still on top should I just scrape it off and rack to secondary? Or wait another week? I guess I could get another primary bucket but lets face it funds are tight everywhere. Just looking for a little help here. Thanks.

What type of beer is it and what type of yeast did you use? My first all-grain was a wheat beer with WLP320 and it took a full 2 weeks in primary before the krausen finally dropped...

Sorry I should have included that. It is an IPA and I used Wyeast 1272.

Don't rush it. Yeast hate to be rushed. They know you are thinking about racking, but they want to do a good job, so now they are rushing to finish and making silly mistakes. Noone works well when rushed, especially yeast. Go let them know that if they need more time they can have it. They will reward your generosity and patience with great beer.

Even if fermentation is complete, the yeast are still busy. Give them a little time to clean up shop. They will collapse the foam when they are done, letting you know it's time to take a look at their work (gravity check). If you like what you see (no gravity changes for a few days and a happy FG) THEN rack. Not before.

:)

Don't rush it. Yeast hate to be rushed. They know you are thinking about racking, but they want to do a good job, so now they are rushing to finish and making silly mistakes. Noone works well when rushed, especially yeast. Go let them know that if they need more time they can have it. They will reward your generosity and patience with great beer.

Even if fermentation is complete, the yeast are still busy. Give them a little time to clean up shop. They will collapse the foam when they are done, letting you know it's time to take a look at their work (gravity check). If you like what you see (no gravity changes for a few days and a happy FG) THEN rack. Not before.

:)

Thank you I think I will pick up another bucket and let this one sit for a while :mug:. I would hate to move it to soon.

Back