Juice in Glass Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smyrnaquince

Reaction score
Other than the apple juice at Whole Foods, does anyone know of juice being sold in glass 1-gallon jugs? I'm on a search for "free" glass carboys.

Thanks!

I haven't found any gallon glass jugs anywhere. $5 a piece at the LHBS get spendy. I'll have to check one of the whole foods stores to see if they have apple juice.

You can find many ciders bottled in glass for some reason, however they run $6+ a gallon. Last time I was at Whole Foods and saw some gallon cider in glass jugs for like $3. I filled my cart and danced to the register. They rang up at $7 and the staff checked-someone put the labels on the wrong shelf. I got nadda.

Otherwise cheap table wine can be found for under $10 in gallon jugs and are Perfect for topping off carboys.

I've been looking pretty hard and the Whole Foods 365 juice seems to be all there is in glass. The next step would be jug wines. While they are more in the $9-$10 range, they might be more popular at a party ;-)

http://www.murraycider.com/stores.html

Don't know if it's available near you. Near me, it runs about $6 a gallon for really decent juice/cider, and they take an 8 1/2 stopper...

Hope this helps. :mug:

I looked at their website and their juice/cider looks pretty interesting. Unfortunately, I am in Massachusetts and they only sell in the Southeast.

Yeah all we have round here is the carlo rossi wine in 1 gallon jugs for $10-14

In the southwest we have Sunflower Market. They almost always have 1 gallon glass jugs of their house brand cider for on sale for $5.99. Their "Organic" is usually $6.99. Our Whole Foods have the glass jars but are normally $7.99 and $8.99 with an occasional sale for $6.99 and $7.99.

For reference... it cost me $13 for 2each: 1Gal jug w/top, stopper & airlock at my LHBS here in NY. Carlo&Rossi is $19/gal... I'ld say that the Whole Foods shop is a deal if you get the juice to drink or ferment. No one around here uses the glass jugs for juice so I don't have that option.

A little off topic but I saw 1 gallon #1 plastic bottles (like the big 5 gallon water jugs) for sale at our local grocery store (Kroger) for $2.50.

I looked at their website and their juice/cider looks pretty interesting. Unfortunately, I am in Massachusetts and they only sell in the Southeast.

Oh, well... It was worth a shot. You might try asking your local market to special order some. You never know until you ask.

Also, have you considered using PET or PETE (recycling code 1) containers? I think that most good brand juices are sold in PET or PETE, and I know that Mott's sells in one gallon jugs. I don't want to start a new debate on glass vs. plastic, but if you do a search on HBT, you can find many opinions. Mine is that PET or PETE is just as good as glass as long as you're not letting it sit for many months or years.

Someone mentioned Carlo Rossi bottles. Take a close look, but last I checked, the smaller jugs are 1.5L and the bigger ones are 3L, not one gallon.

Someone else mentioned buying glass bottles. At my local shop, 1 gallon jugs are $4.25. I know they do mail order, but I don't know what shipping would cost.

Have a good one.

The carlo rossi jugs in my area are 4L, but it could be different elsewhere

Latest posts

Back