The stupidest comment on your beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was thinking about us (being the type of people that enjoy a variety of beers) being called beer snobs. I rarely ever buy the same six pack twice in a row, I like the variety.

aren't the BMC guys who stick exclusively to their one brand of beer being more of a snob than we are? at least we try new beers and are open to the possibility that they could actually taste good.

I was thinking about us (being the type of people that enjoy a variety of beers) being called beer snobs. I rarely ever buy the same six pack twice in a row, I like the variety.

aren't the BMC guys who stick exclusively to their one brand of beer being more of a snob than we are? at least we try new beers and are open to the possibility that they could actually taste good.

Wow, I have actually never thought about it like that.
I think the "snobbery" comes from people that like good beer thinking they are better than people that stick with one BMC.

This is a pretty good point. Snobbery, Ignorance and Prejudice; BMC drinkers. :rockin:

Hmm... Say no to Bud supremacists!

You can often spot them on there way to meetings wearing a Budweiser box hat.

DSC00236.JPG

DSC00240.JPG

(Sometimes known to wear other BMC hats).
DSC00234.JPG

DSC00306.JPG

I firmly beieve that there are 2 types of beer. One you use to get drunk and one you drink for flavor. Most people just use beer to get drunk and they drink the beer that is the most flavorless. They don't want flavor to get in the way of getting drunk.

Let those people have that. That is what that beer is for. Who wants to drink a 12 of Guinness to get drunk?

Forrest

It's not hard to get drunk on beer with flavor. There's lots of flavorful beers that are very quaffable. Ed's pale, or BM's SWMBO slayer spring to mind. Exclusive BMC drinkers are snobs (mostly kidding). I recently bought a 30 pack of Natural Light, cause it was $10, I didn't want to show up to band rehearsal empty handed, and it has lots of "drinkability". That crap can serve a valid purpose too.

Stupid things people ask me about my beer...

Drinking a Wheat beer...
them: How come you didn't put an Orange in it?

I offer them a nice Pilsner:

Them: I only drink lagers.
explain: It is a lager..
Them... What's Budweiser...
explain: Lager...
Them: Oh so this is like Budweiser

Takes beer away...

Who wants to drink a 12 of Guinness to get drunk?

Forrest

I wouldn't mind it at all.
Getting drunk with flavor as a bonus?
Count me in! :mug:

I say some people were simply born without the right palate for beer, they will just never get it.
Some say beer is an acquired taste, i have to disagree, had my first sip of beer when i was about 12 and i immediately enjoyed the stuff.

a friend who stopped by during a brew: are we gonna slam that later?
me: in about 4 weeks we are.

serving a friend a kolsch and telling him it's a kolsch: this tastes just like grolsch.

A fairly smart acquaintance hesitantly takes a pull off of a Chocolate stout. Astonished look on his face"It tastes like chocolate!" Uh yyyeah thats the idea. BMC drinker "Tastes like flowers and grass." Uh yyyeah thats what Hops taste like. I think it's our duty to educate palates to the wonders of GOOD beer.

:off: Not totally appropriate, but since we're talking about commercial beer too... I was in line at the grocery with a sampler case of Goose Island, and some dude behind me was like, is that actually good? I'm like, yah. He's like, well, I only buy American-made beer, like Bud. And I go, well, this is from Chicago. Illinois.

I think there is this stereotype that the only "good" beers must be imports.

And as far as my own beer, I've definitely had people mistake "malty" for "hoppy" as well.

Snobbery has nothing to do with what you consume but only how you view others who choose differently from you. Craft beer drinkers looking down on BMC drinkers for their choice of beer is exactly the same as BMC drinkers looking down upon others for drinking that hoity toity craft beer stuff.

There are a lot of craft beer/ homebrew drinkers who believe that BMC drinkers are ignorant rubes who would choose differently if they only knew better or weren't so stupid, etc. There are also a lot of BMC drinkers who view craft beer/homebrew drinkers as Elitist Ass C$%^s who should step down off their high horse to mingle with the masses now and then.

Is either group more wrong? I don't think so. I think both groups are schmucks.

So, this wasn't necessarily a stupid comment, but it made me laugh anyway. I brought my dad a glass of my first homebrew (an Irish Red). He sipped it and said, "Hey, this is actually good! I was expecting it to taste like that crap that Jim [his associate] used to make." Heh! It turns out that Jim had made a couple batches of Mr. Beer before he lost interest.

Asked last night:

- Next door girl: How do you put the bubbles inside the bottle?

- Me: I put some small bugs in the beer, the drink it and they fart a lot.

- Next door girl: No, seriously, How do you get it?

- Me: I've got a bubble maker machine.

- Next door girl: And how do you get the alcohol?

- Me: Just buy it in a bulk, then pour it in the beer.

When I first started homebrewing, I proudly took a few bottles out west to visit and share with my family. As my parents and brother raved (or politely complimented -- I don't recall which) about the beer, my grandmother, who was never bashful with her opinions, shrugged her shoulders and asked, "Isn't all beer just beer?"

Other favorite comments I used to get at the brewpub, where I had the pleasure of sharing beer with thousands of people over the years:

"I don't like this. I just like beer." (This is beer, you moron!)

"Do you brew any beer, or just ales?" (Umm, ale is a style of beer.)

"I don't want any of the homemade stuff." (Well, I use the same kind of equipment as BMC, just a lot smaller. And would you say the same about apple pie? Or do you really prefer the kind that comes out of a vending machine?)

The parenthetical remarks were the ones that I wanted say, by the way. Fortunately I was always slightly more diplomatic. My favorite response, which I did use frequently, to most of these kinds of remarks was: "Your glass is empty. Would you like another?"

:off: Not totally appropriate, but since we're talking about commercial beer too... I was in line at the grocery with a sampler case of Goose Island, and some dude behind me was like, is that actually good? I'm like, yah. He's like, well, I only buy American-made beer, like Bud. And I go, well, this is from Chicago. Illinois.

I think there is this stereotype that the only "good" beers must be imports.

And as far as my own beer, I've definitely had people mistake "malty" for "hoppy" as well.

ummm..... well..... bud is now brewed over seas. too bad you didnt educate them on that minor detail about "american made". You should have told him, that the reason you are buying craft brewed is because you are supporting the american made beer tradition (that and that you actually like flavor):tank:

ummm..... well..... bud is now brewed over seas. too bad you didnt educate them on that minor detail about "american made". You should have told him, that the reason you are buying craft brewed is because you are supporting the american made beer tradition (that and that you actually like flavor):tank:

WTF are you talking about? InBev is a Belgian/Brazilian company that owns Bud but the beer is still brewed here it would be insane to try and ship in that much beer from a profit based perspective. Yes it is also made internationally, but it is sold internationally too. They have a very large market share all over the world.

Well that is like saying that toyota is american made since they have factories here.

I guess if you put it that way, we're looking at different definitions of 'made.'

So up until the day that money and management changed hand AB products were American, the next day they are instantly Belgian/Brazilian?

I guess if you put it that way, we're looking at different definitions of 'made.'

So up until the day that money and management changed hand AB products were American, the next day they are instantly Belgian/Brazilian?

I am not saying I agree with one or the other just that I can see both sides of the argument. They are both true. It all depends on what your definition of "buy american" is.

I am not saying I agree with one or the other just that I can see both sides of the argument. They are both true. It all depends on what your definition of "buy american" is.

Right, that makes sense.

I was just going for the fact that, while it is brewed "overseas" it's not "imported", its brewed in the US for US consumers.

Latest posts

Back