Topping up late...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cgeorg

Reaction score
I brewed a concentrated batch, intending to top up to 5 gallons in the fermenter. I ended up boiling off more than expected, and didn't have enough water left - I have 4.25 gals of 1.053 SG beer sitting in the fermenter now. I'm planning on leaving the beer in the fermenter for about 2.5 weeks total, dry hopping the last week. Should I add the water now, when I dry hop, or wait until bottling day? I have boiled/cooled water ready to go right now...

Well what did you brew? Stout, IPA, Barley wine? I guess what I'm getting at is that your mash determined mouth feel of your beer. What were the numbers you were trying to hit? A couple of points will not make a difference. If your numbers were close to right I'd leave it alone.

Here was my original recipe. I dropped the 2 row to 9lbs, and we had fairly low efficiency (new grain mill), so I added 1lb of extra light dme halfway through the boil. I reworked my hop schedule to be balanced at 1.049 (35 IBU).

Back