Trying a 90 min clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neckbone

Reaction score
I got a 90 min DFH clone that I want to try. My LHBS didn't have the exact hops, so we made some substitutions. I doubt it will be exact, but it should turn out a pretty good beer.

My question, it has a 1.080 OG. Do I absolutely have to aerate before pitching? I'm not set up to aerate yet. I'm doing it as a partial boil w/ steeping grains. I have everything I need, but don't plan on getting an aerate system quite yet, and I'd like to brew on Saturday. If I pour from my pot into the primary, then fill w/ water to the 5.25 gal mark, will this be sufficient?

We did a high IBU IIPA last weekend (95 IBU roughly), extract with grains, and didn't aerate just poured the wort into pre-chilled water for aeration, and pitched a nicely smacked pack of pacman on top.

I think the OG was 1.072 if I remember right

No problems at all.

Great!! Thanks. I'll do both, strainer, and into cooled water. Just to be on the safe side.

I also put plastic wrap over the the mouth of my carboy and apply preasure to the opening (as to not let anything spill out) then I turn it on it's side and roll it around for a long time maybe 10-15min. this seems to do the trick. have a good brew!

Yup, "rock the baby" too. I used to use a non-drilled stopper and put a blanket or something soft under the carboy, and shake that carboy until your arm falls off. Normally 5min or so is enough if you shake it really good. I vent some more air in everyonce in a while too so that more 02 gets in there.

I transfer my wort through a strainer then give my carboy a quick shake by rolling it on the outside bottom edge...seems to yield great results.

I spin my carboy around on the ground just hard enough to get the wort swirlin on the inside then i lift my hand from the top and continue to spin, this way it gets fresh air from the outside.

At least this is my thinking..

Since you're doing a partial boil anyway, it stands to reason that the unboiled water should have plenty of O2 disolved in it. I think you'll be fine.

By the way, if this is the DFH 90 from the BYO clone edition, it is an excellent recipe!

Yeah, it's the recipe from the BYO book. I'm substituting a couple of the hops for what my LHBS store had, so it won't be exact, but I'm hoping for a good brew. :mug:

Well, brewed this yesterday. It's pretty hard to brew this one when you're hungover, and your mind isn't what it should be. Splitting up the hops into 12 equal parts was fun. But, in the end, I did it.

So, OG was 1.089, I poured through a strainer into the fermenting bucket. Actually made a starter too. Today, we're bubbling ever 2 seconds, so I'm off and running. I'll leave it in for a week or so, then I gotta bottle the Blue Moon clone in the secondary, and transfer this into it. God, this is a great hobby!!!

Woke up this morning, and was getting 1-3 bubbles a sec, and foam starting to come out of the top of the airlock. I'll probably go get a blowoff tube at lunch today.

Back