Brew pot blues...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zymurgrafi

Reaction score
Well I have been saving for a bigger better pot. Still not enough to buy one yet, nor have I decided what to get. Unfortunately I just discovered my enamaled 15 quart pot is chipped on the inside near the top. :(

I do not want to waste my money on a temporary cheapy pot and I am pretty far off from having enough for the pot i want. I would like to get a pot that will last "forever", realizing that is not a reality in homebrewing (always something bigger better...)

I really do not want to stop brewing until I can afford my new pot.

Any ideas?

I have just started doing pm brewing and think I will stick with that for a long while before ag. I guess I would like to do full boils at some point but that won't happen as soon as I get a new pot. I will have to get a chiller and I suppose a propane burner eventually to do that. But I would like a pot that will enable that in the future while still being of use now on my propane gas stovetop. I only have maybe 30 bucks saved at the moment.

So, "boils down to"... ;)

1. What do I do in the mean time?
2. What should I be saving for specifically?

Any ideas much appreciated.

16 Qt pots are pretty cheap. I have a very heavy restaurant-type 16 qt aluminum stock pot that I bought at a thrift store for a couple buck--you might check places like that.

(Or consider buying a cheapie new one at Walmart or the like.)

Especially if you go the thrift store route, you'll have so little invested in it that replacing it will be no big deal. They're great for doing double batches of soup for parties or church potlucks or whatever anyway.

Only where I live now there are only two and they have mostly clothes. I have been looking there but it can be a long time before you find what you are looking for. I keep hoping... Wish it were garage sale season. That won't be for another 4 months.

I did see that thread. Those look pretty rough and I am wondering how long they would last in the long term. Plus it does not mention the quality. $60 bucks for 10 gallon ss is a deal, but is it really with the condition they are in? Also, can I use a 10 gallon on my stovetop?

knights of Gambrinus said:
I did see that thread. Those look pretty rough and I am wondering how long they would last in the long term. Plus it does not mention the quality. $60 bucks for 10 gallon ss is a deal, but is it really with the condition they are in? Also, can I use a 10 gallon on my stovetop?

Probably not.

I think you can get 16 QT SS pot at Walmart for $30 or less, FWIW.

Lots of folks advise against using aluminum pots for brewing. I've never tried, so maybe those of you who have can comment. But if you can find a cheap stainless steel pot, you'd be much better off.

Here's a 16 qt. s.s. stockpot from overstock.com for $47 + $3 shipping: http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2.cgi?PAGE=PROFRAME&PROD_ID=1938475

Here's one from Amazon.com for $32 + shipping: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000LNVSVG/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Don't know what your budget is, but if you have $40 or $50, I'd definitely look into a s.s. pot over an aluminum.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought my 22 qt pot at Wal-mart not that long ago for $34. It's a pretty good pot that has a tri-layer bottom. I've been very happy with it.

mountainrev said:
Lots of folks advise against using aluminum pots for brewing. I've never tried, so maybe those of you who have can comment. But if you can find a cheap stainless steel pot, you'd be much better off.

Here's a 16 qt. s.s. stockpot from overstock.com for $47 + $3 shipping: http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2.cgi?PAGE=PROFRAME&PROD_ID=1938475

Here's one from Amazon.com for $32 + shipping: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000LNVSVG/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Don't know what your budget is, but if you have $40 or $50, I'd definitely look into a s.s. pot over an aluminum.

My understanding is that he wants to buy a "will last forever, pretty-much just for brewing" pot, but isn't quite ready and needs something to make do with in the meantime. No sense spending $50 on a stopgap measure, IMHO. I'd still advocate finding a cheapie used 16 Qt, or maybe even buying another enameled pot (again, they're perfectly good for soup, etc once they're no longer needed for brewing.)

Yes, there are some advantages to stainless. But there's certainly no reason aluminum can't be used, especially if we're talking about a short-term solution.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, "boils down to"... ;)

1. What do I do in the mean time?
2. What should I be saving for specifically?

Any ideas much appreciated.

1. self converted keggal
2. see #1

you really cant go wrong with it. Take your $30 get a turkey fryer and move out to the garage or patio . . . BTW you get a pretty nice kettel you can still use inside with the fryer as well until you get your keggal

mountainrev said:
Lots of folks advise against using aluminum pots for brewing. ...

That topic has cropped up here on HBT before and it's absolute baloney!:D I've used aluminum pots for 10+ years now. Cheaper than S/S and it works fine.

Note that John Palmer is a metalurgical engineer by profession. In his book and numerous times in interviews he's talked about aluminum. He says aluminum is fine with one qualifier: it needs to build up a slight oxide layer to be immune from affecting beer flavor. This can be accomplished by boiling water in it a couple of times.

I did my first 10 or 12 batches in an el cheapo aluminum pot I bought from the dollar store for less than $20. It had a 3 gallon capacity. I had a problem with scorching until I made a diffuser from a wire hanger and started stirring more. If you're just doing something to get by, that should work.

cweston said:
My understanding is that he wants to buy a "will last forever, pretty-much just for brewing" pot, but isn't quite ready and needs something to make do with in the meantime.

Precisely!

Yes, I want to hold out for something long term that will remain useful as I progress in my brewing complexity.

So, something larger, solidly built that I can use on my stove, but also move out doors with a burner in the future.

The keggle idea is a bit over my head at the moment. Not quite ready for that yet.

I have not said it so far as I did not want to set off a whole 'nother debate, but, I know they have cheap crap, but I hate walmart. :eek:

...but that may be where I end up. I did just see some 20 quart supposedly stainless steel pots at the "dollar store" today. They are super thin and kind of funky looking inside. And possibly welded? Could not find the price on those but the 16 qt. ones were $12 something I believe. I did not really seriously consider them.

How much should I be saving anyways??? I have only just started looking at pots. My LHBS has ss 40 qt for $200!!! Surely I could find something for less?

I bought an aluminum Pot a couple of years ago at a resteraunt supply store.
It's ten gal and about 5 mils thick I have been using it for two years and I make real good beer. ( not bragging ) go for it. Aluminum is just fine.

snaproll said:
I bought an aluminum Pot a couple of years ago at a resteraunt supply store...

Same here. Keep your eye out for sales. I happened to pick mine up from a restaurant supply house who just happened to be having a sale that month! I got a 40-qt., 8mm thick walled unit for ~$44.00. I have a pic of it here.

speaking of propane fryers-anyone ever use these inside??
It doesn't seem like the safest thing to do, but if you're careful, it seems like it could be done. i guess it won't really matter once it gets warm, but i have enough room in the basement right now.

go to the classifieds on this site and like my name up roesso keg wanted and there is a man on there that i just bought a keggle from a he might have another one for sale got a real good price on mine go there and check

roesso

People that have been here awhile have heard this (bear with me).

I use my propane burner all the time for cooking out doors. I bought a giant wok for stir frys. It's also great for frying up stuff that would ordinarily set off a smoke alarm or stink up the house.

If you ever get any grief from SWMBO about buying one and you have any type of cooking skills, definately cook up something out of the ordinary and get her back on your side.

Precisely!

Yes, I want to hold out for something long term that will remain useful as I progress in my brewing complexity.

So, something larger, solidly built that I can use on my stove, but also move out doors with a burner in the future.

The keggle idea is a bit over my head at the moment. Not quite ready for that yet.

For under $200 you can have a converted keg and a turkey fryer. If you want something that will last, you will not grow out of but you will grow into then this would be your wisest choice and cheapest in the long run.

I went from 5 gallon partial mash into 25 gallon full grain because I didn't say "I'm not ready" but because the price was right and I knew I would be in this hobby for a long time. Even I thought I was crazy at the time but now I see how sane I was.

There's another thread around here about slightly beat-up, dinged 10-gallon SS pots available on Northern Brewer for only $60. Little bit of TLC, they'll be nearly good as new. Not much more than Al. I'd consider one of those.

EDIT: Brewiz beat me to it - check out his link.

yeah, that was brought up earlier but I still have reservations about those. I do not mind them being dinged up. It is the fact that they were possibly stored outside. I believe even stainless steel is prone to corrosion in certain conditions and I would wonder what these really look like inside.

Plus the size. There was at least one response that 10 gallon pot would not work so well on stove top. Anyone have experience to the contrary?

I would probably get one of these if I knew it was just mostly dents and dirt, and I could use it without a propane burner (for now). I guess $14 for shipping is not so bad.

Well, you could use the 10 gallon pot on the stovetop, but don't try boiling 6-7 gallons in it. It's not the pot that is a problem, it's the volume of water.

In my opinion, go buy a walmart 30qt turkey fryer kit for $37 and use the pot on the stove or on the burner outside.

yeah, that was brought up earlier but I still have reservations about those. I do not mind them being dinged up. It is the fact that they were possibly stored outside. I believe even stainless steel is prone to corrosion in certain conditions and I would wonder what these really look like inside.

They are stainless steel any corrosion will come right off so they only thing to be concerned about are big dents. The price is right on those pots and a turkey fryer can be picked up cheap.

I got all of my stainless pots from a junk yard so if you want to see some corrosion this is what my pots looked like:

Before....
LargeMashTun.jpg

and After...
Recirc5.jpg

Wow, that is amazing. What did you use to clean them?

...and, what were they to begin with anyways???

I think I am nearly convinced. It is really cheap.

Barkeepers Friend and elbow grease is what one uses to get that effect. You can find BKF in the grocery store near the rest of the scouring powders.

Diffuser? :confused:

1. Take the coat hanger and clip off the hook so you have a long wire

2. then bend it into a star shape
see attached images

the now coat hanger (now diffuser) will raise your kettel just enuff so that it's not directly on the burner and will help reduce the tendency of scaorching the bottom of your kettle

If a wire coat hange and pair of snips is too advanced for ya you can probably buy something very nice and more technical at a camping supply store for $20

hanger1.gif

hanger2.gif

I'll have to talk to my roommate about where he got it, but we picked up a 44qt SS Bayou Classic Trukey Fryer Set for..

$40.

Froogle lists them at about $200. Deals are everywhere!

Pumbaa said:

see attached images

the now coat hanger (now diffuser) will raise your kettel just enuff so that it's not directly on the burner and will help reduce the tendency of scaorching the bottom of your kettle

If a wire coat hange and pair of snips is too advanced for ya you can probably buy something very nice and more technical at a camping supply store for $20

No... wire... hangers. What's wire hangers doing in this closet when I told you: no wire hangers EVER? I work and work 'till I'm half-dead, and I hear people saying, "She's getting old." And what do I get? A daughter... who cares as much about the beautiful dresses I give her... as she cares about me. What's wire hangers doing in this closet? Answer me. I buy you beautiful dresses, and you treat them like they were some dishrag. You do. Three hundred dollar dress on a wire hanger. We'll see how many you've got if they're hidden somewhere. We'll see... we'll see. Get out of that bed. All of this is coming out. Out. Out. Out. Out. Out. Out. You've got any more? We're gonna see how many wire hangers you've got in your closet. Wire hangers, why? Why? Christina, get out of that bed. Get out of that bed. You live in the most beautiful house in Brentwood and you don't care if your clothes are stretched out from wire hangers. And your room looks like some two-dollar-a-week furnished room in some two-bit back street town in Okalahoma. Get up. Get up. Clean up this mess.

mommie2.jpg

olllllo. Yikes! nice one... :eek:

:off: slightly but, nice.

Pumbaa,
Thanks, I am assuming that is for electric ranges? Can't see how that would help with my propane stove as the flames would just go right around the wire. But I understand the principle.

Wow, that is amazing. What did you use to clean them?

...and, what were they to begin with anyways???

I think I am nearly convinced. It is really cheap.

Those are pool filter housings. I am cheap and I got them for free, that is the only reason I went from 5 gallon batches to 25 gallon batches.

Scrubbing with Bar Keepers Friend was a lot of work but it shined them up nice.

Pumbaa said:

see attached images

Thanks for chiming in. I forgot to check back with this thread. I didn't do near as pretty of work with mine, but it still works fine.

olllllo. Yikes! nice one... :eek:

:off: slightly but, nice.

Pumbaa,
Thanks, I am assuming that is for electric ranges? Can't see how that would help with my propane stove as the flames would just go right around the wire. But I understand the principle.

I'm pretty sure they make solid ones, but you'd have to pay money, and that would defeat the whole purpose.

I thought about setting it in my cast iron skillet before someone on this board told me about the wire hanger. That might work.

olllllo said:
No... wire... hangers. What's wire hangers doing in this closet when I told you: no wire hangers EVER?

WOW!!! You really went all out on that one.Nice....Thanks...I really enjoyed it
mo

ALRIGHT!
Well, I actually went ahead and bought the "dollar store" 20 quarts ss pot. I went and checked it again and it was thin and slightly dirty but, for $10 I could not resist.

Just brewed an apa with it. So far so good. Everything is coming along nicely. Tastes good, looks good, hit my target...

Hopefully this will hold me over a while!

Just a quick peep out of me.... I got a 22 or 20 qt SS pot at BigLots for $9. It may not be the greatest but for $9 bucks! I'm not sure i would buy any thing else in that store but I could not pass up this deal.

I'm not sure if Big Lots is a AZ only store or what.. I think they used to be pick-n-save....

Any way just thought I would put that out there.

Back