The Gimp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Unkle Danky

Reaction score
If any of you want to make really nice labels you should try GIMP. Its is a 100% free graphics program and in the right hands has nearly all the ability of photoshop. I will post pics of mine when done. Check it out. Doesnt use a lot of memory and downloads in just a couple minutes.

yeah i use it all the time during my slow time here at work. nice program....but a little difficult at first to figure out. youtube tutorials.....check em out they help alot.

It's probably the best free editor out there.

If you get really good at it, try photoshop... I find it's best for people to learn in GIMP as it makes you do a bit more gruntwork (which teaches a lot).

I'd love to learn how to design labels and graphics that I can use on web sites and blogs. I used GIMP to make some simple graphic icons following a tutorial script that I found on the web some time back. It was hard. I fear I may lack a certain essential aptitude for graphic design, aka talent.

I'm struggling with GIMP, atm. I am an engineer and use CAD everyday, so I keep looking to draw lines and circles, drafting type stuff. GIMP doesn't give me those options. I will try to find the Youtube tutorials, maybe that will help.

You might have better luck with Inkscape.

Inkscape is awesome; let me draw a couple of concept labels very, very quickly. Lots of tutorials on Youtube too, if you're so inclined, with tips for drawing complex designs like ribbons and whatnot.

Definitely much easier to work with vector art than with raster.

Thanks, I got it downloaded and playing around with it. It is much easier for me to wrap my mind around; a more intuitive feeling for an enginerd.

I'm the same way. I use Gimp sometimes, but I've found I'm more productive with Inkscape.

Gimp is pixel based and Inkscape is vector graphics. It's really two different worlds.

In Gimp you would retouch your photo, image or whatever, then import to Inkscape to add text and line art.

Back