Question about agitating in the primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtvinny

Reaction score
My airlock activity has slowed considerable and I want to know if I should rouse the yeast (I typed all the info up regarding what it is when when I started it etc but lost about 15 min of typing so if more info is needed just ask) So here's my question-

Is it acceptable to agitate beer/apfelwein in the primary? I assume that they should be covered with a CO2 blanket that will keep them from getting oxidized. Is this a safe assumption?

Also I have them in my unheated mudroom (pronounced future brew room and it gets colder in there at night than I would like it to (~55F) I have a 100w lamp on them in an effort to keep them from getting too cold short of bringing them in the house is there anything else you would suggest?
Thanks

My beers ferment at an average of 55 degrees. They are always ready after three weeks and Apfelwein in a month. A little cooler, yours might take a little longer, but you don't need to rouse the yeast or anything. Yeast know what to do. Just be patient. The more beer you have, the easier it is to be patient.

mrk305 said:
The more beer you have, the easier it is to be patient.

I have been buying some sort of equipment every couple of days so that I can get something else started. Today I picked up two (the first two of many more) 3 gallon #1 PETE bottle full of spring water for 4.50 no deposit. I find reasons to drive by the LHBS just so I can drop in and buy airlocks. I can't wait to get into kegging so at least I can forgo the natural carbing if I feel like it.

You can agitate it if you like, but without taking a gravity reading you won't know if primary fermentation is really complete. It may already be done and there's no need to rouse the yeast.

Back