BeerSmith 2.0

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Put your mouse pointer on the top blue bar where it says mith2... left mouse click hold the button down and move your mouse to the right.

Put your mouse pointer on the top blue bar where it says mith2... left mouse click hold the button down and move your mouse to the right.

Not having a problem moving window. My Carbonation button on the Tools bar is chopped off.

Don't move the window, widen the window. You're monitor isn't wide enough to accept the length of the toolbar. Unless you cannot widen the window?

anyone noticing big differences in IBU calculations?

My recipes seem to have imported fine and both versions are set to tinseth but IBU calculations are not matching up right

I have an ESB that was 33.4 IBU in BS1.4 that is now 36.7 IBU in BS2.0
my barleywine i plan on brewing tomorrow went from 121.2 IBU in 1.4 to 95 IBU in 2.0

My recipes seem to have imported fine and both versions are set to tinseth but IBU calculations are not matching up right

my barleywine i plan on brewing tomorrow went from 121.2 IBU in 1.4 to 95 IBU in 2.0

Interesting. Is there any difference between equipment set-up, boil volumes, etc, between the two versions?

As for my input: I'm loving 2.0. Just started using it 10 minutes ago and I'm already a pro at it ^_^ And I know it's not much but I like the pint images :D

terrapinj said:

Yeh I just checked a few recipes and the IBU's are off by like 2-4.
It's the IBU % on each hop. I guess it didn't import. Have to manually edit.

You might have selected a different calculation formula in 1.4 and 2.0. It didnt keep that setting for me so look in Tools>Options>Bitterness>bitterness formula in both 1.4 and 2.0 and make sure there the same.

Anybody know how to add NEW misc? The NEW button is missing.

You might've found a bug. At least for me, if I already have a tab of anything open ('Ingredients', 'Tools', whatever), then click something else, the correct tools don't update.

Anyway, if you close the 'Miscellaneous' tab then reopen from the 'Ingredients' -> 'Misc', it should then show you the 'Add Misc' button. At least is does for me. :)

You might've found a bug. At least for me, if I already have a tab of anything open ('Ingredients', 'Tools', whatever), then click something else, the correct tools don't update.

Anyway, if you close the 'Miscellaneous' tab then reopen from the 'Ingredients' -> 'Misc', it should then show you the 'Add Misc' button. At least is does for me. :)

Ahem. Or just click the 'Home' tab. That seems to bring everything back as it should. I'm still learning this layout... :cross:

I'm not front of the PC where I can check, but yesterday I found the add-ons button which allows you to import more ingredients. For example, I used add-ons to import about sixty malts and extracts from Briess alone. Maybe that will give you more misc.

jeffjm said:
I'm not front of the PC where I can check, but yesterday I found the add-ons button which allows you to import more ingredients. For example, I used add-ons to import about sixty malts and extracts from Briess alone. Maybe that will give you more misc.

No misc in Add-Ons.
BeerSmith1 had a NEW button. BeerSmith2 does not.
And it didn't import the added misc from BeerSmith 1.

No misc in Add-Ons.
BeerSmith1 had a NEW button. BeerSmith2 does not.
And it didn't import the added misc from BeerSmith 1.

On each one of the Views there is an Add button on the icon bar. So on Inventory there add buttons for grain, yeast, hops.

I want to create new Misc. Like Lemon Zest and Pecan extract. Anybody find a way to do this?

So far, I like the new look. Some slightly odd things I've noticed, but overall it's a nice new face for Beersmith.

One gripe I have is with GUI overload. There are way too many tool bars / side panels. Many of them seem to do the same thing. I.e., Tools at the top, then Tool tab just below it, then the Tools docked side panel on the left.

I've turned off the side panel altogether (option is under View).

Why are all my old recipes ingredients not in order? Hop additions are willy nilly, they should go from 60min down. I want grains listed first, then hops, in time order.

_

Why are all my old recipes ingredients not in order? Hop additions are willy nilly, they should go from 60min down. I want grains listed first, then hops, in time order.

_

In the Recipe Design view, there is a colum with the heading "#". Ordering this column in ascending order seems to do the trick. From what I can tell, it:

1. puts grains first, in decending order of %
  2. puts hops second, in decending order of boil time (or IBUs, not sure here)
  3. puts yeast last.

I've noticed it will put mash additions, like gypsum, first. Nice.

I'm very happy with 2.0 so far! I look forward to learning more about how to use it and getting used to the new logic behind it. :) I love the ability to customize the fields you see.

In the Recipe Design view, there is a colum with the heading "#". Ordering this column in ascending order seems to do the trick. From what I can tell, it:

1. puts grains first, in decending order of %
  2. puts hops second, in decending order of boil time (or IBUs, not sure here)
  3. puts yeast last.

I've noticed it will put mash additions, like gypsum, first. Nice.

That's better, I still want grains first though. The actual brewsheet's job is to sort everything by brewing order, imo. Thanks for the help:mug:

Both version settings are for Tinseth

the IBU next to each hop is def off but the total calculation is still off by more than those individual amounts

boil volumes, times, equipment etc all imported just fine and are the same

i'm just not sure which version to rely on as more accurate

Both version settings are for Tinseth

the IBU next to each hop is def off but the total calculation is still off by more than those individual amounts

boil volumes, times, equipment etc all imported just fine and are the same

i'm just not sure which version to rely on as more accurate

Hi,
There was a slight adjustment to account for losses to trub/chiller which were not included in the earlier version. Technically these are part of the overall batch volume for the "post boil" volume, so the net effect is a slight lowering of IBUs. Separately we added a slight plus up for pellet hops - so overall the change should be small.

Brad

From beersmith's forum.

_

Hi,
There was a slight adjustment to account for losses to trub/chiller which were not included in the earlier version. Technically these are part of the overall batch volume for the "post boil" volume, so the net effect is a slight lowering of IBUs. Separately we added a slight plus up for pellet hops - so overall the change should be small.

Brad

From beersmith's forum.

_

thanks!

still odd one recipe actually has higher IBU but it's been brewed and is ready to bottle so it doesn't matter

Hi,

Brad

From beersmith's forum.

_

True. Note, a side effect of this is that if you scale the recipe the way 1.4 did it, you will now see a change in IBUs. There is a prompt to adjust to maintain all parameters; this should be chosen.

wildwest450 said:
Hi,

Brad

From beersmith's forum.

_

Ahhh, that makes since.
But really, whats a couple of IBU's. I garauntee I couldn't tell the difference between 25 and 28 IBU's.

OK - I think I might have found a small bug? The Starter Size volume in the Yeast starter tab is always in gallons, regardless of what I set the Yeast Units to be in options. The Hydrate Yeast with volume unit does change. I want my yeast starters in liters, damnit!

Overall though I'm loving the new version. Good work Brad! And having the yeast starter tab saves me a trip to Mr Malty too.

So, I just got an email regarding BeerSmith 2.0, saying it's going to be a new program, not an upgrade. If that is the case, will I have to buy it again? I just bought 1.4 about a month ago and I really don't want to buy it again. Any thoughts?

Didnt read thru everyone's post...but if you purchased beersmith after Feb. 15, 2011, the new program is free (but only for another month)...existing users who purchased before Feb. 15, 2011 get it for $19.95 until August, then its full price.
Again if this duplicated, sorry!

OK - I think I might have found a small bug? The Starter Size volume in the Yeast starter tab is always in gallons, regardless of what I set the Yeast Units to be in options. The Hydrate Yeast with volume unit does change. I want my yeast starters in liters, damnit!

Overall though I'm loving the new version. Good work Brad! And having the yeast starter tab saves me a trip to Mr Malty too.

I noticed that too, it looks like the starter size is linked to the Mash Vol Units setting.

Back