beer won't carbonate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gritsak

Reaction score
I started with my regular carbonating routine: 2 days at 30psi, then a couple days at 12psi. No carbonation. Turned it up to 20psi for 1 day. Still nothing. 2 more days at 25psi. Nothing. I can't figure out what's going on. This is the first time i've used this new (reconditioned) keg, but i can't find any leaks. While cold crashing in the primary i accidentally froze the beer for about 3 days, but i can't imagine that has anything to do with the non-carbonating issue. This is also the first time I'm using my new dual regulator setup, but again i checked thoroughly for leaks and couldn't find anything.

Any ideas on what else to look at?

Take the top off the keg and set your regulator to about 12 psi to make sure you are getting gas into the keg. That much CO2 should have done something by now.

you do have a leak somewhere. if you can, move the beer, and put a soapy water mixture in that keg, then push some c02 into it with nothing hooked to the outlet. you'll probably find the leak. otherwise, i'd bottle that beer to keep it from oxidizing, then test that keg.

Yep i'm an idiot...it held pressure fine when i rebuilt it, but i finally just pulled the liquid line off only to see beer leaking out of the poppet. Can't believe it's been over a week an i never thought to unhook the liquid connector

Shake the keg.

Sometimes beers with high "oils" from say vanilla beans will from a unpemeable layer on the beer preventing it from carbing.

I was just thinking...even if the liquid poppet is leaking, when the coupler is connected that shouldn't matter. right? The poppets are only sealing when there's no coupler

correct. you might have to get a new poppet valve, too. if possible, go with my suggestion to test it, though. it might tell you where the problem is

The poppet needs replaced, but that has nothing to do with carbonating the beer in the keg, unless it is leaking out around the coupler. The amount of CO2 you introduced in the keg should have done something. Do you have a pressure-relief valve? I would suggest relieving all the pressure, open the valve and hit it with CO2 just to check the obvious....CO2 getting into the keg in the first place.

Back