Gainesville, FL

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i wanna brew this weekend but I'm just not gonna have the time.

got too much beer anyways.

same here. my ingredients should arrive tomorrow but i wont have the time to brew. plus i forgot to get my starter going. oh well maybe next weekend.

Anyone have the Ca, Mg and CaCO3 numbers for GRU/Murphree? I got the most recent water analysis (about a week old) and it doesn't have that info in it.

I don't use GRU water any more because of the damn chlorophenols it tends to produce unless you filter it, but here goes:

Name: Gainesville 1
PH: 8.8

Calcium: 26.8
Magnesium: 15.2
Sodium: 9.5
Sulfate: 82.0
Chloride: 26.0
Bicarbonate: 50.0

Name: Gainesville 2
PH: 8.6

Calcium: 27.0
Magnesium: 17.0
Sodium: 11.3
Sulfate: 71.8
Chloride: 27.1
Bicarbonate: 67.1

2010-04-24135041.jpg

A little coercing and a toothpick to pull the end around, but it fits. Thanks Chris.

If it's done by BJCP rules, it's a no-go for me. I don't need anyone telling me to use less roasted malts when I didn't use any roasted malts at all.
For $6 and the fact that I can drive to the brewery to drop off my bottles I'm going to do it just to see if they pick up anything weird that I don't.

Yup. I'm putting some stuff in. The deadline is May 7th I'm pretty sure. I'm not getting my hopes up cause I've heard there can be some serious *****ebaggery from the judges, but what the heck. For $6 and no shipping its worth it. I'll be prouder of an award from the Shop's monthly competition though!

I'll probably enter a few beers. I wasn't pleased at all with last years comments. I remember Joe got beat out by a lager in an ale category. I scored a 42 on a beer in the specialty category and didn't place. You can't convince me that there were 3 beers higher than 42 in the specialty category. One judge's writing was completely illegible. One judge marked me for low carbonation on an English Mild.

But yeah, I'll enter a few probably.

well, just went to check on the beers I was gonna enter. The Stone clone and Bell's Two Hearted are almost gone.That leaves the ESB and maybe the 3/4 IPA. The latter is .9 SRM out of style for an IPA. I can see these judges ripping it apart for it.

BTW, I added the malto dextrin to the 3/4 IPA, the beer I mashed for 5.5 hours. Remember how water thin it was? Added 8 oz, added CO2 and tasted. Instantly better. I might enter it. Best recipe I've made yet.

Here it is.

Style: American IPA
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 6.50 gal
Boil Size: 8.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.065 SG
Estimated Color: 15.9 SRM
Estimated IBU: 58.7 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80.00 %
Boil Time: 63 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
13.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) Grain 87.39 %
1.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 10.08 %
0.38 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 2.52 %

0.25 oz Chinook [13.00 %] (60 min) Hops 11.0 IBU
0.25 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (30 min) Hops 3.7 IBU
0.25 oz Centennial [8.70 %] (27 min) Hops 3.8 IBU
0.25 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (24 min) Hops 4.4 IBU
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (20 min) Hops 4.9 IBU
0.50 oz Centennial [8.70 %] (17 min) Hops 5.0 IBU
0.50 oz Zeus [14.00 %] (14 min) Hops 6.3 IBU
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (10 min) Hops 5.8 IBU
1.00 oz Centennial [8.70 %] (7 min) Hops 5.9 IBU
1.00 oz Zeus [14.00 %] (4 min) Hops 7.9 IBU
0.83 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (0 min) Hops
0.83 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (0 min) Hops
0.83 oz Centennial [8.70 %] (0 min) Hops

2.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops
1.00 oz Zeus [14.00 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops
2.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops

1 Pkgs Dry English Ale (White Labs #WLP007) [StarYeast-Ale

Mash @ 150F

If you enter the ESB it looks like we'll be competing. I'm entering the MO/Willamette SMaSH as an ESB. I had better efficiency than I was planning on so I added some water and I think I added too much... starting gravity was around 47 or so, finished at 08.

1oz @ 45
.5oz @ 15 and 5

Picked myself up some Cigar City Humidor Gruit from Cigar City along with a growler of Jai Alai and a Rauchbier. This will be my first humidor series beer, and my first gruit. Not expecting too much, but it should be interesting!

The 3/4 IPA sounds interesting, Chris!

If you enter the ESB it looks like we'll be competing. I'm entering the MO/Willamette SMaSH as an ESB. I had better efficiency than I was planning on so I added some water and I think I added too much... starting gravity was around 47 or so, finished at 08.

1oz @ 45
.5oz @ 15 and 5

American hops in a SMaSH? Gasp! Looks like you'll be right at the low end of the SRM range. Bring it on.
:D

Picked myself up some Cigar City Humidor Gruit from Cigar City along with a growler of Jai Alai and a Rauchbier. This will be my first humidor series beer, and my first gruit. Not expecting too much, but it should be interesting!

The 3/4 IPA sounds interesting, Chris!

Did you go there or just get it from a store? We went there a couple weeks ago and had the time (and beer) of my life. I tried the gruit, wasn't crazy about it. They used cedar as the bittering agent. The Jai Alai is one of my top 5 beers. Going to get a growler of it tomorrow. woot.

The IPA is interesting. The aroma coming off this thing is intense.

They have growlers of the Gruit at Tipple's I believe. Will be going there tomorrow to get one if they do.

chefchris and I are hitting up Tipple's tonight for some Jai Alai. If I remember I'll check to see if they have the gruit.

worst case give them a call and they'll let you know what they've got.

on an unrelated note, anyone got a clone for an old rasputin? (please not the one from BYO, I have not heard a single good review of that recipe)

I know it's not the time of the year for something like that but it is time for me.

Tipple's has the gruit in bottles. Last night, they had Stumpknocker and Jai Alai on tap. I am not crazy about the Jai Alai - it's a very good beer, but just a bit too sweet on my palate. I like the Big Nose more.

I may be getting that fridge after all if I can find someone with a truck or van to help me pick it up. Damn small cars!

Tipple's has the gruit in bottles. Last night, they had Stumpknocker and Jai Alai on tap. I am not crazy about the Jai Alai - it's a very good beer, but just a bit too sweet on my palate. I like the Big Nose more.

I may be getting that fridge after all if I can find someone with a truck or van to help me pick it up. Damn small cars!

Not that I hate Swamphead, but the 2 times I had big nose I kinda hated it.

Not that I hate Swamphead, but the 2 times I had big nose I kinda hated it.

What didn't you like about it? Just curious.

The Big Nose I had seemed very well balanced between the malts and hops, where the Jai Alai was a little heavy on the sweet malts for my taste.
I've gotten really sensitive to crystal malt flavors in pale ales and IPAs, which is why I try to go with darker base malts instead in my homebrewed versions. Maybe that's one of the differences between the two-type and amount of crystal.

I figure since Swamp Head is still so new, there'll be a bit of batch-to-batch variability in flavor characteristics as well.

What didn't you like about it? Just curious.

The Big Nose I had seemed very well balanced between the malts and hops, where the Jai Alai was a little heavy on the sweet malts for my taste.
I've gotten really sensitive to crystal malt flavors in pale ales and IPAs, which is why I try to go with darker base malts instead in my homebrewed versions. Maybe that's one of the differences between the two-type and amount of crystal.

I figure since Swamp Head is still so new, there'll be a bit of batch-to-batch variability in flavor characteristics as well.

I had them both at alcove and I just thought it smelled awful which was a turnoff since it's an IPA. Then it just tasted like I can't even describe. it was lacking completely for me.

Tonight will be the first night I'll have jai alai so I'll have to see how that goes.

There was a recipe tweak in Big Nose so if you had it back in November or December (or possibly January depending on Cone) then it has likely changed. I had it last night at common grounds and thought it was delicious. You have to really like Amarillo though.

There was a recipe tweak in Big Nose so if you had it back in November or December (or possibly January depending on Cone) then it has likely changed. I had it last night at common grounds and thought it was delicious. You have to really like Amarillo though.

I love amarillo. I have to try Big Nose again. I had it I think in Feb or March.

wow does the beer selection in winter haven suck. i cant even get some hoegaarden at a publix. lame. thank god i payed wards a visit before i left gainesville.

Matt,

It is almost immpossible to find good beer down here. I go to total wine and more in Orlando to get good craft beer. Jesse's in down town W.H. had Swap Head recently, although I can't garentee that they still have it. Where did you land a job in W.H.?

Back