Spring has officially sprung here in the PNW!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrH

Reaction score
I feel for all you guys who have been getting pummeled with all the winter weather, but here in Washington we've had one of the mildest winters I've ever seen. No snow this year, and only a few days below freezing. And just yesterday, imagine my surprise when I found my Hallertauer and one of my Fuggles peeking out for the season! In a normal year, I wouldn't expect to see growth for another month and a half. We usually have a pretty short growing season. These hops are second year growth, and to have them up so early bodes well for a good harvest! I'm stoked to say the least. :rockin:

Anyone else seeing any signs of life yet?

MrH

Piss off!!!!!

J/K. I'm glad to see someone is having a relatively decent winters, especially with Boston, Philly, and D.C. all setting snowfall records this year.

Here me now and believe me later. Put some mulch on 'em.

I'll be picking up some manure tomorrow to give them some food (and encouragement.) Oh, and they're poking through the mulch that's been there all winter. ;)

MrH

Piss off!!!!!

J/K. I'm glad to see someone is having a relatively decent winters, especially with Boston, Philly, and D.C. all setting snowfall records this year.

Yeah, I've been really surprised at this. The past three years we've had pretty nasty winters. I'm a Southern California beach kid and still don't own a pair of pants, so I'll take all the mild weather I can get...

The only thing you can count on weather-wise around here is the unexpected between November and March.

I want to get the garden going so bad I look like a nutjob staring out an asylum window. But it aint Mid March yet...
I am going to put up my first go at a hop trellis this weekend I hope.

Haven't taken a look yet. The weather here has been nominal and it looks like we might even get the February sunny spell this year. I'm in climate zone 1, so my growing season lags the Willamette valley by almost a month. Daffodils are blooming in Mc and mine have just broken ground.

Been nice around here. Wake up and its in the 40's.
Little rain here and there....Just enough to make it so i can go out and rototill the garden.

My second year hops, Centennial/Magnum/Cascade all have signs of life. Centennial has 10+ shoots already. Must be all those spent grains I fed them during that 1 week of winter we have had so far this year. Weird!

I wish I could have gotten ahold of rhizomes earlier. I was planning on starting some this year, and it's been "spring-like" weather here in San Diego for quite a bit, this whole week has been upper-mid 70's, not a cloud in the sky, and a slight ocean breeze, I could already have bines :(

Whoa up there Mr. Impatient. For some of us, the snow won't even melt for another 2 months or more. Most dealers haven't even started digging up their rhizomes for sale, yet. You still have plenty of time for this year.

Yep, daffodils are blooming here, and my Chinook are poking out of the ground already. No signs of life from the Cascade and Mt. Hood though.

I noticed the first sign of growth on my cascade and centennial about a month ago, hoping its going to be a good harvest as this time I'm ready with a Food Saver to preserve the harvest that much better.

heh We here in the midwest have a ways to go. However, with the sun shining and the temps being a balmy 35 degrees, I am getting a little bit of the spring fever. :D
The snow has melted on the hop mounds, so I couldn't help but take a peek. Nope, nothing yet. ;) However, I did find a small tree starting to grow in one of my mounds - seriously. Where the H-E-DoubleHockeySticks did that come from?!
I think I'm doomed as a hop farmer...

Hard frost this morning, ice all over. Almost 60F now! Guess it's time to put the battery-charger on the mower.:mad:

Yup noticed last week, Hallertauer and Cascade were popping up.

But the last 2 mornings have been 30 and 29 deg with Afternoons in the High 50's. Haven't checked... scared to see frozen/limp/dead little bines....

They are "Busting" ground though, the hills look like "Mt St Hellens" cracks, bumps etc all over. One of the Cascades had 9 shoots!

Fingers crossed for the little buggers...

Cheers :mug:

IMG_00981.jpg

Taken this morning...beautiful day here in Portland!

I feel for all you guys who have been getting pummeled with all the winter weather, but here in Washington we've had one of the mildest winters I've ever seen. No snow this year, and only a few days below freezing. And just yesterday, imagine my surprise when I found my Hallertauer and one of my Fuggles peeking out for the season! In a normal year, I wouldn't expect to see growth for another month and a half. We usually have a pretty short growing season. These hops are second year growth, and to have them up so early bodes well for a good harvest! I'm stoked to say the least. :rockin:

Anyone else seeing any signs of life yet?

MrH

Its been absolutely beautiful last few days. To top it off, my Willamette is starting to send out shoots.

it's gotten warm here in New Mexico too. I worry about mine starting shoots, because we will certainly have a few more good cold snaps. my almond tree likes to do that. it flowers, then they all freeze off. fingers crossed...

If it isn't to late I have some Cascade and Willamette that I would like to separate and trade for other types.

Am I making a mistake by letting my hops grow this early. Well they be hurt if we get a late freeze? I just cant get myself to cut down hops

Am I making a mistake by letting my hops grow this early. Well they be hurt if we get a late freeze? I just cant get myself to cut down hops

You'll be fine. hops are not as sensitive to freeze as fruiting trees and delicate flowers. They can withstand a pretty hard freeze, even for a relatively sustained period of time.

I'm in Spokane, WA, and have about 20 shoots just starting to come up. I just purchased a new house and the previous owner had this plant growing. It is in pea gravel and the majority of the rhizome is exposed. I'd like to divide it and move it to some better soil.

all of the shoots are about 3-6 inches high and none have leafed out yet. Do you think it is too late to move or propagate for this year? It looks very established with about 14" of rhizome above the ground and a another 1.5" diameter section curving down into the ground.

Thanks for any input you can give!

Hard frost this morning. No sign of hops. They generally don't come out until the daffodils start dying back and the daffies have just started blooming here.

I got almost no growth, maybe 4' of plant and no flowers off my fuggles in their first season last year but they are now already over a foot up. They were maybe 6 inches last week when I realized I needed to get something ready for them to climb (in February!) and now they're shooting up. Hoping we don't have a freak frost now and that all the posts about how the hops do better after their first year are really true.

i lied. i was doing some work in my garden today and saw a few shoots. i will needs to mulch more asap as i can still get frost where im at or even snow

FAA! Pulled back the mulch and found some deep holes where the plants were. Snow's on the way as well.

I'm not gonna say I told you so, but its snowing an hour north of Seattle...

same here in NM, and tomorrow is supposed to be nearly 70(of course then a day of 48* and rain). I have hops breaking ground when I mulched yesterday and planted 2 new ones. only 1 more to get into the ground. :ban:

Back