Chocolate PB Anniversary Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattmeiske12

Reaction score
I was trying to think of something to do for a gift to celebrate my 1 year anniversary with my GF. What else is better than BREWING A BEER!

I let her pick the type of beer she wanted to do and she decided on a Chocolate Peanut Butter Stout. I took a couple different recipes with different methods for achieving the Chocolate PB and meshed them together to come up with my own. If anyone would like to see what I used, I'll post it.

We bottled it this week after it sat a week in primary and 2 weeks in secondary on chocolate. Initial thoughts after tasting it were very good: it has a great chocolate aroma, a nice silky stout mouthfeel to it and you get a nice PB cookie on the back end. We will wait to see how it gets after carbing up.

I hate seeing when fellow HBT'ers get scolded by their significant others for our great hobby. I thought I would share my feel-good story and I'm one lucky guy to know my GF not only could care less about all the money I blow on homebrewing, but will join in on the fun too.

Cheers everybody! :mug:

image (2).jpg

image.jpg

image (3).jpg

image (4).jpg

nice!

i'm interested in the recipe. I brewed a cpb stout and plan to do another one soon...(trying to get close to big gruesome...if you've had that).

Big gruesome is her favorite beer haha. I love it too. The place by us has actually has on tap all the time (or people don't drink enough of it). I'll post the recipe then.

Peanut Butter Stout

Mash Length (min): 60
Boil Length (min): 60
Boil Volume (gal): 7.0
Target Volume (gal): 5.5
Target OG: 1.056
Target FG: 1.016
Actual OG: 1.052
Actual FG: 1.012

Fermentables

American 2-row Pale: 9 # - 78%
Chocolate Malt: 1 # - 9%
Flaked Oats: 1 # - 9%
Black Patent Malt: 8 oz - 4%
1 box of Reece's PB Puffs

Hops

Nugget: 1 oz - 60 min
Nugget: 1 oz - 10 min

Mash

Mash w/ 4 gal @ 154 for 60 mins. Batch sparge with 4 gal @ 168.

Boil

Add 1 # of crushed peanuts to boil @ 45 mins.

Yeast: Wyeast American Ale 1056

I thought that maybe between mashing with the cereal and adding the peanuts to the boil, it would add a nutty body to it. I think I achieved that from what I can tell so far. I know I'll probably lose head retention from the oils of the peanuts, but oh well.

It was my first time building a recipe, so if anybody had any thoughts or comments on it, I'd appreciate it.

The recipe turned out fairly well for my first recipe creation. It came out tasting very much like a peanut butter cookie, has a silky smooth mouthfeel and very much what I would consider a "sessionable" flavorful stout.

Some things I would tweak from the original recipe would be:

- I let it sit on chocolate for 2 weeks in secondary (noticed I did not add that to the recipe originally). The chocolate kinda got lost in the beer, so I would consider adding cocoa nibs to the boil for next time.
- I did lose head retention very quickly, so I'm thinking that de-oiling peanut butter may be a better way to go for next time. I have also read you can get peanut butter powder, but that doesn't seem easy to come by.

I hit target on everything spot on, so all of those numbers are accurate. I think the cereal was a very high contributing factor to the nutty/cookie flavor that I was getting.

Nice! I tried a peanut butter porter that didn't work so well. I think i'm going to have to try it with the cereal and see how that goes. Thanks!

My girlfriend enjoys craft beer too, we try to hit up a brewery at least once a month. She wants to help me brew a batch and I told her to pick a beer and she also wants to do a chocolate peanut butter porter/stout. So I will have look over the recipient for this one.

These worked well? Seems like you can do a lot of things with a bunch of different flavors they have.

yeah, it's a really tiny amount...it's hard to say how much flavor it actually contributed. I suspect most of it came from the 2 lbs of pb2. For $3-4, i figured i'd give it a shot.

I talked to Matt from spring house a few weeks ago about big gruesome. he said they add real peanuts, roasted peanuts and pb2 all to the boil. I don't know the amounts though.

Not sure if you have a Wegmans nearby, but they now carry powdered PB. BTW, digging the Nittany Lions swag!

Thanks for the recipe.

thrust said:
Not sure if you have a Wegmans nearby, but they now carry powdered PB. BTW, digging the Nittany Lions swag!

Thanks for the recipe.

I'll check it out. There's one right by me, but if I went there to grocery shop, I'd be broke because of all the amazing things they have there.

Latest posts

Back