Please Critique My Wedding Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mewithstewpid

Reaction score
Hello All,
Wanted to get some opinions on a beer I will be handing out as a wedding favor in February.
Overall, the people attending are not really craft brew drinkers. I would say that about 30% are, while the remaining are either "normal" beer drinkers or wine drinkers.

Previously I brewed a pale ale with 2 oz of late cascade and Falconers flight 7c's, and everyone seemed to enjoy it. It was a happy-medium where craft people enjoyed a light pale ale while BMC drinkers enjoyed a slightly hoppy ale. people enjoyed the fruitiness.

With that in mind, I planned this:

5.25 gallon batch (will be brewing 2 of them, which is why I chose all extract)
3.5 gallon boil, top up to 5.25

American Blonde/Pale Ale

3.15lb GOLD LME (added at 60 minutes)
3.15lb AMBER LME (added at 0 mintes)

1oz Columbus 60min

Mix together:
1oz Centennial
1oz Summit
1oz Amarillo

2.5oz Hop Mixture added at 0min with 20 minute hop stand at 180deg

.5oz Hop mixture added dry for 5-7 days

US-05 yeast

Comments, suggestions?

I did not add steeping grains because I know the Amber LME has munich and caramel in it already

Thanks everyone

Rich

Did you run this recipe through a brewing calculator? I'm curious what your IBU's are going to come out at. I would shoot for 32-38 IBU's and 5-5.5% abv for a wedding beer.

I made a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale clone (5.5% abv) and a Cream Ale (4.5% abv) for my brother's wedding and all 200 bottles of it were gone in 3 hours and I had 7-10 people asking me about my beer it was so good! You are definitely on the right track with a pale ale for a wedding!

Did you run this recipe through a brewing calculator? I'm curious what your IBU's are going to come out at. I would shoot for 32-38 IBU's and 5-5.5% abv for a wedding beer.

I made a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale clone (5.5% abv) and a Cream Ale (4.5% abv) for my brother's wedding and all 200 bottles of it were gone in 3 hours and I had 7-10 people asking me about my beer it was so good! You are definitely on the right track with a pale ale for a wedding!

good idea about the IBUs, i really should have checked before. i was shooting for around 30 IBU, so that would me .5oz columbus at 60 min instead of 1oz

Back