GOOD on Netflix STREAMING?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jafo28 said:
Recently finished Life on Mars. It's only one season, but has a great soundtrack and pretty good cast.

Loved that show, so much that I tracked down the UK version, which is also only one season. There is a UK spin off that is set in the 80's with a girl as the main character, I can't remember the name right now.

Edit: Ashes to Ashes is the spinoff.

Ok so maybe a week ago I watched The Thing (2011) which is actually a prequel to the 1982 one. Now I am re-watching the old one with Kurt Russell, and it really brings out all the attention to detail in the prequel. The continuity is fantastic, as it basically ends right where the 1982 version starts, and when they fly back to the Norwegian camp it struck me just how closely they matched the set designs so it looks exactly like.a continuation of the same story.

Drive!

It was great! A little dose of campy gore was strangely placed, but it made sense after a bit. So surprised at how good that film was.

I loved "haunted honeymoon" with gene wilder growing up and still like to watch it now and then.. there's also "Transylvania 6-5000" on there.. still like the old comedies.. wish "young Frankenstein" was on Netflix for the kids :mug:

Ok so maybe a week ago I watched The Thing (2011) which is actually a prequel to the 1982 one. Now I am re-watching the old one with Kurt Russell, and it really brings out all the attention to detail in the prequel. The continuity is fantastic, as it basically ends right where the 1982 version starts, and when they fly back to the Norwegian camp it struck me just how closely they matched the set designs so it looks exactly like.a continuation of the same story.

So they made the movie "The Thing" as a prequel to the movie "The Thing".

I'm so glad they were creative with the title...

Honestly, I probably would've had more of a reason to see it if I knew it was a continuation (or pre-continuation) rather than a 'remake' like everyone thought.

Bad marketing on their part.

If damages hasn't been mentioned its a MUST! The first season can be hard to follow but each season gets better and better.

I couldn't get my wife convinced to watch The Grey after seeing the 2.5 star rating and various reviews describing the weak ending..

I couldn't get my wife convinced to watch The Grey after seeing the 2.5 star rating and various reviews describing the weak ending..

But it's Taken with wolves. Did you explain it to her that way?

Troll Hunter!
Awesome found footage/fake documentary movie about exactly what the name implies, and somehow manages to not be completely cheeseball

That is a great movie.

TxBrew said:

I think if it's got wolves it's also got to have Costner's posterior to make the cut with the wife.

The Grey Really good film making. Brutal, poignant.

Agreed. I felt like the last 1/4 of the movie sort of dragged on. Otherwise it was awesome and I still gave it five stars.

This has probably been mentioned before, but Ip Man and Ip Man 2 are FANTASTIC even if you aren't into martial arts movies.

OK having watched this now (thanks to this thread--I thought it looked like crap when I saw the ads on TV) I can say that this is a bit of an exaggeration. Sure Liam's a badass in the movie, but overall it is way slower paced than Taken. Lots of long sequences where guys share their feelings. Lots of long, slow sequences where people are basically just walking or sitting around, etc. Taken, on the other hand, was a series of highly implausible (but nevertheless great) action sequences strung together by highly implausible James Bond-meets-MacGyver spy voodoo, book-ended by a couple of short sequences where people share their feelings.

.................I am incredulous about "The grey"

The ending was EPIC.(SPOILER) His dad's poem on his lips and his doom impending......We didn't need to see his demise. He was meeting his insurmountable nemesis fully prepared for his death, seeing his beloved dead wife finally.

The scene where you can't see the wolves in the darnesss, BUT THEIR SYNCHRONIZED HOWL BRINGS FORTH A VISIBLE CLOUD OF THEIR BREATH????????? I nearly peed my pants!!!!!!!!IF YOU CAN'T APPRECIATE THAT EPIC PIECE OF FILM MAKING (which justifies the rest of the film even if it wasn't good....which it certainly was) I BID YOU ADIEU, WE HAVE NOTHING FURTHER TO DISCUSS.

And BB, it was 4.25 stars for me.

You have to rate movies to get the customized ratings. I rate everything.

JordanThomas said:
Poolhall Junkies is now on Netflix. One of my favorites...

Christopher Walken's speech is so classic.

Great movie under appreciated. Plus the scene where he's trying to figure out why he's not that guys N word is classic comedy.

I am not saying it was bad. I am "Taken with wolves" is a very poor description of the film. The only thing this movie had in common with Taken was the lead actor. It's like saying Schindler's List is "Taken with Nazis".

Thank you! "Taken" was a rather unmemorable bit of well done hollywood action movie. Liam lent it some credibility, but it was heavilly borrowed from the trendy first "Hostel".

Hostel was good for it's originality and shock. The second one SUCKED dead goats.

The Grey is at once a dark survival horror tale and a lesson in poignant self improvement.

Several of the men have their best brought out in the face of the brutal mother nature, while others never have a chance.

The mother nature itself is made all the more brutal by the unforgiving landscape, where to survive, you must be the most fit and most brutal. (although "most resourceful" shows a glimmer of hope)

If Liam's lack of godliness, in spite of his high morality is cause for some to not like the movie, shame on them.

Imagine how good BSG would be if they decided NOT to use the term "fraq" every other word...They abuse the hell out of that horrible idea

fixed :ban:
i found myself saying it allot after watching it.. i hear my kid say freak all the time and told her to start saying fraq.. :D

I thought it lent reality. In reality a bunch of military jocks and fly-boys (girls) would say the eff bomb every other word.

As far as I am concerned nay-sayers are wrong. I love that fracking word.

Have you even seen the movie or are you just making generalizations based on the lead actor?

You could just as easily said it's Gangs of New York, or the A-Team with wolves but you didn't.

Have you even seen the movie or are you just making generalizations based on the lead actor?

You could just as easily said it's Gangs of New York, or the A-Team with wolves but you didn't.

No I haven't. Fair enough.

DAMNED. And TX busts out some self-critical fun poking near nonsensical!

Well played my friend.

On a side note....

HELLRAISER 2 is dated but EPIC!!!!!

I do not say that lightly....

A bit slow in the beginning, the parts when pinhead realizes his true identity and turns against his master and the part where what's her name wears Julia's skin and tricks the evil guy are freaking amazing. Seriously ingenius.

DAMNED. And TX busts out some self-critical fun poking near nonsensical!

Well played my friend.

On a side note....

HELLRAISER 2 is dated but EPIC!!!!!

I do not say that lightly....

A bit slow in the beginning, the parts when pinhead realizes his true identity and turns against his master and the part where what's her name wears Julia's skin and tricks the evil guy are freaking amazing. Seriously ingenius.

I try....sometimes.

Back